We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Help with our trip

Which Rotterdam hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
newcastle
Level Contributor
6 posts
2 reviews
Save Topic
Help with our trip

Hi,

I've posted this in the general Netherlands forum but wasn't sure if it was better in here.

We're in the process of planning a long weekend away in november (thursday night to sunday). There will be a group of us and we benefit from really convenient flights to amsterdam.

We've all been to amsterdam before and didn't really want to go back there. Ideally we are looking for somewhere with a buzzing nightlife and perhaps a couple of things to do during the day. We wouldn't mind seeing a couple of places if its cheap and easy to go between them.

We've been to Antwerp before and really enjoyed it there, I had looked at perhaps Rotterdam and Antwerp but the trains between the two (on nshispeed) looked like they were around 40 Euros which is a bit more than we would like to pay especially as we would then need to get back across the border to Amsterdam airport on the Sunday. Obviously trains for November are not available but this price was based upon 2 months ahead.

We've also been to utrecht, which we liked, but to be honest we would perhaps like somewhere a bit more lively later into the night.

I hope this makes sense. Thanks for any advice.

Amsterdam, The...
Destination Expert
for Amsterdam
Level Contributor
36,616 posts
79 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Help with our trip

I will leave the Rotterdam scene to the locals. However at the weekend you can get a reduced fare ticket to Antwerp for only €11 each way on the normal IC train. Back to Schiphol will only be €16.50.

Often in November Thalys have special fares so just look out for these.

What time is your flight back?

You can also fly back from Brussels on BMI Regional. No need to fly back from Schiphol.

By the way if you post on here then Rotterdam is a sub forum ofSouth Holland which is a sub forum of The Netherlands so this post also appears in there. No need to post twice so perhaps you could remove your post there by clicking "Remove Inappropriate Content" and "Remove my post"

Amsterdam, The...
Level Contributor
16,943 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Help with our trip

Well I don't know how buzzing the nightlife in Rotterdam is these days apart from the bar scene which is lively (especially in Witte de Withstraat, Veerhaven, Oude Haven, Nieuwe Binnenweg...). But haven't been clubbing in Rotterdam for years.

There is a free smartphone app called Rotterdam Info which tells you what's on that week, including parties / deejays.

If you do not mind the fact that it is a modern-looking city, not a picturesque old city, then there is plenty to see and do there. For example funky architecture like the 45 degree tilted cube houses, some modern skylines with /from the Erasmus bridge and/or Willemsbrug bridge in them, take a watertaxi, do a harbor tour, try international restaurants (some top class), go to China Town, etc.

Ideas in this thread: tripadvisor.com/ShowTopic-g188632-i840-k6883…

and on this website: http://en.rotterdam.info/visitors/

Rotterdam can easily be combined with Dutch cities like Breda, Dordrecht (for example by boat, or by train), The Hague, Leiden, Den Bosch (= 's Hertogenbosch); all within easy daytrip reach... and sights like Kinderdijk (windmills) or the Delta works (water defense system).

Have fun!

Rotterdam, The...
Level Contributor
10 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Help with our trip

Rotterdam has a decent nightlife during the weekdays and a good nightlife in the weekends. Ofcourse it depends on what you are looking for in particular, but Cecile74 already gave some good tips for bars and cafés. If you want to have a good time in Rotterdam, Witte de Withstraat is a good bet. Both during weekdays and in the weekend there are lots of bars here as well as good restaurants. Here I'd recommend NRC, a former newspaper office turned into a grand cafe. The Nieuwe Binnenweg street also has a lot of bars, the crowd here is generally a bit younger. The Veerhaven is the most luxurious area to go out.

If you're more into clubbing, then the area close to Central Station is the best place to go. The most hip places of these days are all located around here. Some places that come to mind are Perron, Toffler and Bar. Mind you that the crowd here is young and the music is techno, dubstep, drum & bass etc. If you're looking for a more adult atmosphere I would suggest the Meent street. There is a good mix of cafes and clubs in this street. It's a bit more upscale and the crowd is generally older. Some clubs around here are 108 and Cinema. Not too far from Meent, on the Coolsingel, is Club Bed.

About combining two cities. I think Rotterdam and The Hague are very easy and logical to combine. These days there is a lightrail connection between the two cities, takes about 30 minutes. Both Rotterdam and The Hague have decent nightlife.

Rotterdam, The...
Level Contributor
153 posts
102 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Help with our trip

I agree with Cecile and RottaNova: Witte de Withstraat, Veerhaven, Nieuwe Binnenweg and maybe also Oude Haven are good places to go at night / in the evening. Nhow Rotterdam also recently opened a bar with a nice view on the Erasmus Bridge.

Concerning day activities I agree with Cecile: visit the historic Veerhaven and Delfshaven, make a nice walk alongside the Boompjes Park over the Erasmus Bridge via the Wilhelminapier (a place with a lot of modern architecture) over the Rijnhavenbrug towards Katendrecht (an upcoming neighbourhood) where you might visit the Rotterdam Steam Ship (or just have lunch on it). I also highly recommend a ride with a Watertaxi, really a cool thing to do. Besides you might also visit the Cubic Houses and the Markthal which will be open by then (this is how it looks like right now: https://fbcdn-sphotos-g-a.akamaihd.net/hphot… )

Concerning day trips to other cities and sites you've got plenty of choice. Rotterdam is very centrally located and it's very easy to travel to cities like Delft, Leiden, The Hague etc. by train or by boat to Kinderdijk.

Rotterdam, The...
Level Contributor
29 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Help with our trip

For the nightlife We Own Rotterdam is the best website to have a look: http://weownrotterdam.nl/

Rotterdam Nightlife is booming at the moment after some year of relatively 'sleep'.

There are some nice museums as well. Best known is the Boijmans van Beuningen Museum. But also the Kunsthal reopened after a reconstruction last month. And there is a nice exhibition in the Wereldmuseum now about modern asian art.

Rotterdam is famous for the modern architecture and the big port so make sure to enjoy these.

Amsterdam, The...
Destination Expert
for Munich, Amsterdam, The Ardennes
Level Contributor
7,303 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Help with our trip

What kind of nightlife do you like?

Rotterdam, The...
Level Contributor
43 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: Help with our trip

Good suggestion of Tim on We Own Rotterdam. It really depends on the type of nightlife you like. Is it live music, electronic music, jazz. After some sleepy years the nightlife is starting to get back on track so it's only a matter of taste what you're looking for to give a suggestion where to go to.

newcastle
Level Contributor
6 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Help with our trip

Hi,

Thanks very much for all your replies. I stopped getting notifications after the third so I have only just seen the last ones.

In terms of nightlife, we tend to look for places with a lot of different beers and a chilled out vibe earlier on. Later in the night I guess we would be looking for either a club or a late bar with a bit of a buzz. We're not really bothered about the music more the atmosphere. We're all around 30 so somewhere that those ages go rather than the younger crowd.

I'll check out the websites and places recommended and thanks for the advice on surrounding areas and attractions.

Nieuw-Vennep, The...
Level Contributor
84 posts
75 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Help with our trip

Check into Leiden or Haarlem. They are both wonderful cities, close to the airport by train.

Amsterdam, The...
Level Contributor
16,943 posts
Save Reply
10. Re: Help with our trip

Dizzy jazz cafe used to have a great vibe and live performances now and then but I don't know about now... only been there for dinner recently, in their hidden garden.

Most of these reviews still speak of that good atmosphere. tripadvisor.com/Attraction_Review-g188632-d2…

Edited: 18 March 2014, 22:08