We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Train from The Hague to Brussels

Aberdeenshire
Level Contributor
46 posts
7 reviews
Save Topic
Train from The Hague to Brussels

Hi, I'm looking to travel from the Hague to Brussels in a couple of weekends time. Would be going around 6pm on the Friday and returning around lunch time on the Sunday. Can anyone advise me the best train to get and the best way to purchase tickets please? Is there a website I should pre-book tickets on or can I just buy them on the day at the station?

Thanks

Aberdeenshire
Level Contributor
46 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Train from The Hague to Brussels

I should have added we will be staying in Rijswijk but I assume we would need to get a train into the Hague first and catch the train from there

Amsterdam, The...
Destination Expert
for Amsterdam
Level Contributor
39,812 posts
79 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Train from The Hague to Brussels

http://www.nshispeed.nl//

Actually you are better taking a trainto Rotterdam Centraal from Rijswijk and picking up the train there. You can get a weekend retour ticket for €38,80 for the IC train. taking the Thalys will be more expensive and because of the timings will not save you much time wise.

You cna check the times of trains on the nshispped site but no need to book this, just pick up a ticket in Rijswijk statition on the day. Saying there is a train connection at 18:24 from there to Rotterdam. Of course you can take an earlier train to Rotterdam and wait for the Brussels train there. There is on every hour from rotterdam Centraal at 5 mins to the hour.

Hope this helps.

TheHague
Level Contributor
928 posts
158 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Train from The Hague to Brussels

Thalys is a much nicer train and requires a reserved place, its not possible to reserve seats on the IC, so it can get quite crowded, especially on Friday evenings when its often standing room only.

Thalys trains don't stop in The Hague, but IC ones do. From Rijswijk its quicker and more convenient to take the Tram 17 (every 10 minutes, max 20 minute journey) to Holland Spoor station in The Hague and catch the IC from there, rather than fiddle around with getting a bus or tram to Rijswijk station and then taking a slow stoptrein to Rotterdam.

I would always advise taking the Thalys, especially on a Friday evening. Sunday lunchtime won't be so busy on the return route.

Aberdeenshire
Level Contributor
46 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Train from The Hague to Brussels

Thank you both for your advice. We looked at the link and it looks like we will be taking the IC. The Thalys would be nice but it's going to cost around 100 euros return as opposed to around 40 for the IC.

We will be at the Winston hotel - is there a train station to get to Rotterdam near there or would we be quicker taking the tram 17? Thanks

Colombo, Sri Lanka
Destination Expert
for Sri Lanka
Level Contributor
54,822 posts
196 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Train from The Hague to Brussels

Hi there,

Winston is 5 (max. 10) mins walk from Rijswijk railway station. Might take some puzzling to find as the station is half underground. From that local train to Rotterdam where you can board the IC.

All the best,

<Erik> & [Sandya]

Aberdeenshire
Level Contributor
46 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Train from The Hague to Brussels

Thank you!

Amersfoort, The...
Destination Expert
for Amsterdam
Level Contributor
7,792 posts
44 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Train from The Hague to Brussels

Eriks advice is sound. Take the local train to Rotterdam rather than Den Haag. Ignore the trams for this journey.

As you go out the front door of your hotel, turn left. The station is about 100m along on your left hand side. You won't miss it.

TheHague
Level Contributor
928 posts
158 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Train from The Hague to Brussels

The Winston Hotel is practically on top of Rijswijk station !

Taking the tram via Den Haag will take a little longer, but gives you a better chance of getting a seat on the train. This isn't an issue if you go 1st class, which doesn't cost a prohibitively large amount more.

Colombo, Sri Lanka
Destination Expert
for Sri Lanka
Level Contributor
54,822 posts
196 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Train from The Hague to Brussels

If you want more certainty about a seat, simply at Rijswijk station board a local train in the opposite (northern) direction. 2 stops and you're at HS station, where you can board the IC train also...

All the best,

<Erik> & [Sandya]

Kingston Bagpuize...
Level Contributor
3 posts
108 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Train from The Hague to Brussels

I have stayed at the Winston on numerous occasions and have travelled regularly to Brussels from The Hague.

Your cheaper option is the International train which runs hourly at 27 minutes past the hour (from 06.27 - 21.27) from Den Haag Hollandse Spoor station to Brussels (Centraal, Noord and Zuid). (Train times can be found at http://www.ns.nl/ - enter Den Haag HS and Brussels).

From the Winston Hotel, either train or tram is less than 5 minutes walk.

Tram may be more practical, since you'll probably have to purchase your tickets at Den Haag HS station. Tram takes about 15 minutes and drops you in front of the station.

First class is about 50% more, but definitely more comfortable.

Have fun.

Edited: 25 January 2012, 09:08