We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

3 Nights in The Hague - Transport etc - Help Please!

Coulsdon, Surrey
Level Contributor
36 posts
235 reviews
Save Topic
3 Nights in The Hague - Transport etc - Help Please!

We are spending 3 nights in The Hague 23-26 July. I've studied all the Tripadvisor info about public transport in the Netherlands as well as transportation websites, but am still confused as the best option regards public transport. Would the best option for us be a disposable OV-chipkaart? We would be coming from Schiphol by train to The Hague, and on to our hotel by tram. Whilst in The Hague we were planning to visit Delft, The Gemeentesmuseum, and possibly Madurodam or the Louwman Car Museum - all of which I believe we would need to get to by tram or bus, then back to Schiphol etc. Does this disposable card include rail travel to Schiphol (I'm thinking not). Do you buy separate cards for each day, or can you buy one for 2 or 3 days? Is this more sensible than buying the anonymous OV-chipkaart? Can you buy these tickets at Schiphol when we arrive?

Also, one other question, does anyone know if Vermeer's painting 'The Girl with the Pearl Earring' will be at the Gemeentesmuseum when we are in The Hague? I read on someone's recent review that currently it has gone on loan to another museum, and I'd very much like to see it when we visit.

Colombo, Sri Lanka
Destination Expert
for Sri Lanka
Level Contributor
55,493 posts
197 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: 3 Nights in The Hague - Transport etc - Help Please!

Hi there,

For train use the paper NS tickets. For the travel in Hague and tram 1 to Delft use

http://www.htm.net/Pages/DEF/3/992.HTML

All the best,

<Erik> & [Sandya]

Bergen County, New...
Level Contributor
4,124 posts
211 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: 3 Nights in The Hague - Transport etc - Help Please!

This page makes it reasonably clear that "... Pearl Earring" has already been taken down and is being sent abroad for a while. But the show still has lots of great works to see. Don't skip it.

www.mauritshuis.nl/index.aspx…

Coulsdon, Surrey
Level Contributor
36 posts
235 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: 3 Nights in The Hague - Transport etc - Help Please!

Thanks both. I must be a bit stupid, but I still can't quite understand the benefit of the HTM 3-day product at 14 euros - if you have to first purchase the OV-chipkaart at 7.50 euros and then load it, it costs 21.50 euros. If you buy the HTM Dagkaart at 7.50 euros each day, you are only paying 1 euro more. Am I missing something? Am I the only person to find it a bit complicated?! Also, do you buy the Dagkaart on the tram?

Regards the Girl with the Pearl Earring, I also emailed the Gemeentesmuseum, and they replied confirming that it is on loan, along with 34 of the other masterpieces from the Mauritshuis collection. Don't know if that might be of interest to anyone. Apparently the Girl with the Pearl Earring will only return when the Mauritshuis reopens in 2014.

Colombo, Sri Lanka
Destination Expert
for Sri Lanka
Level Contributor
55,493 posts
197 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: 3 Nights in The Hague - Transport etc - Help Please!

Hi again,

The HTM product is mostly sold as a disposable card. So no need to but the empty card first.

Then 3 days for 14 euro sounds a lot better than 1 day for 7.50, me thinks.

The 1-day card can be bought from the tram driver. The 3-day card I guess not; at both CS and HS stations there are HTM counters selling it, and at least at CS also vending machines (near the tram platform on level 1).

All the best,

<Erik> & [Sandya]

Coulsdon, Surrey
Level Contributor
36 posts
235 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: 3 Nights in The Hague - Transport etc - Help Please!

Thanks, I think I've finally got it!

Little Sutton...
Level Contributor
2,210 posts
146 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: 3 Nights in The Hague - Transport etc - Help Please!

On our regular visits we've taken to paying on the bus or tram as we pretty much make up our days as they come.

Don't forget to visit Scheveningen when in the Hague,it's a superb seaside resort,enjoy!

Tel Aviv, Israel
Destination Expert
for Israel
Level Contributor
2,541 posts
24 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: 3 Nights in The Hague - Transport etc - Help Please!

I was at the Gemeentemuseum today - awesome. I have answers to some of your questions.

I am going to post all as a new "trip report" thread on this forum.

Coulsdon, Surrey
Level Contributor
36 posts
235 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: 3 Nights in The Hague - Transport etc - Help Please!

Thanks for your trip report Pitzikat, we are planning to visit the Gemeentemuseum and the Panorama Mesdag as well as spending a day in Delft, so very helpful. Hoping the weather improves a bit by July 23, it's much the same as here in London - WET!

Little Sutton...
Level Contributor
2,210 posts
146 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: 3 Nights in The Hague - Transport etc - Help Please!

Unless things have changed Thursday is usually market day in Delft,it's a great day out.

Delft, The...
Level Contributor
184 posts
235 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: 3 Nights in The Hague - Transport etc - Help Please!

No Vermeer paintings but really interesting if you visit Delft anyway : www.vermeercentrum.nl

Get answers to your questions about The Hague