We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Travelling from the train station to main attractions

Which The Hague hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Glasgow
Level Contributor
139 posts
57 reviews
Save Topic
Travelling from the train station to main attractions

I am hoping to take my very elderly father on a short trip to Amsterdam and would like to take a day trip to The Hague. I know we can take a train from Amsterdam Central to The Hague however I'm unclear of how I should then travel to go to the main attractions, is it best to walk or could we take tram?

Many thanks

Amsterdam, The...
Destination Expert
for Amsterdam
Level Contributor
35,620 posts
79 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Travelling from the train station to main attractions

What main attraction do you mean? Centraal Station is, well pretty central and has multiple public transport options so you need to be a bit more specific about where you want to go.

Amsterdam, The...
Level Contributor
16,943 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Travelling from the train station to main attractions

The Hague has two main trainstations and a few minor ones as well. Depending on which attractions you mean, you may need either Den Haag Centraal Station (fewer trains from Amsterdam CS go there) or Den Haag Hollands Spoor (more trains per hour from Amsterdam CS).

This website might be of help: http://9292.nl/en# . At 'From' enter 'Amsterdam Centraal' as a starting point and at 'To', enter the street address of the attraction you want to visit in The Hague. It will tell you all the means of transportation you need (including trams and buses).

In The Hague if you want to get from one point to another, you can always ask people for help, for example a tram driver or people waiting by a stop. Or bring some more money and use taxis.... it's a holiday after all?

Good luck and enjoy,

Cecilia

Amsterdam

cile.home.xs4all.nl/travel/amsterdam_tips.htm

Edited: 10 April 2013, 23:57
The Hague
Level Contributor
54 posts
34 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Travelling from the train station to main attractions

I would suggest taking a direct train to The Hague Central Station. From there it's a short walk (5 minutes) to Parliament, Royal Palace Noordeinde, the main shopping area's and museums.

There are also numerous tram lines to take you from Central Station to your destination. Trams 2, 3, 4 and 6 to the city centre, 1 and 9 to the beach.

Enjoy your day trip!

Den Haag
Level Contributor
15 posts
31 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Travelling from the train station to main attractions

Prasenberg is right: Use Central Station, it is near the center of town. The other station Hollans Spoor is in a not so good area, specially in the evenings.

Glasgow
Level Contributor
139 posts
57 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Travelling from the train station to main attractions

Many thanks for your help. I guess I need to choose which attractions my father would like to see and plan for that. Your info on the trams has been a great help, thanks

Glasgow
Level Contributor
139 posts
57 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Travelling from the train station to main attractions

Many thanks for your help. I guess I need to choose which attractions my father would like to see and plan for that.

The Hague, The...
Level Contributor
5,125 posts
106 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Travelling from the train station to main attractions

The Hague Central station is indeed more central than Hollands Spoor but it has to be mentioned that for all this year one has to walk a few hundred meters to the tram stop (or go upstairs but those trams don't go to big attractions) whereas from Hollands Spoor the tram platforms are right in front of the station (to the left and those trams go the same way as those near Central Station (9 and 17) or even better (tram 1, which doesn't pass by Central Station but goes straight to the centre and onwards to Scheveningen or to Delft in the other direction). But from Central Station you CAN walk to the centre, not from Hollands Spoor. Find which tram you need to the attractions you want to see. For example, if going to Madurodam, you can just as well go to Hollands Spoor (Den Haag HS), with tram 9 that goes on to Scheveningen too.

And, mind you, the Mauritshuis museum is closed for renovation.

But the Rijksmuseum in Amsterdam just re-opened after 10 years and is THE best attraction now, in my opinion.

Glasgow
Level Contributor
139 posts
57 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Travelling from the train station to main attractions

Many thanks for your help. I have a much clearer picture now of how to get my dad to some of the sites I'm sure he will love.

Thank you

9. Re: Travelling from the train station to main attractions

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 19 April 2014, 07:18
Get answers to your questions about The Hague
Recent Conversations