We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Train from The Hague to Amsterdam

Which The Hague hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Cairo, Egypt
1 post
1 review
Save Topic
Train from The Hague to Amsterdam

I would like to know if there is a direct train from The Hague to Schiphol airport or do I have to stop at Amsterdam central station first? If yes what are the morning times trips from 10,30-11,30 am. I

have to be at the airport by 1pm on Saturday 22/9.

Amsterdam, The...
Destination Expert
for Amsterdam
Level Contributor
35,613 posts
79 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Train from The Hague to Amsterdam

Please check www.ns.nl oh and any map site will show you that the airports is between The Hague and Amsterdam

Edited: 19 September 2013, 18:00
Amsterdam, The...
Level Contributor
16,943 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Train from The Hague to Amsterdam

The Hague has several train stations. Den Haag Hollands Spoor is probably most convenient for getting to the airport directly.

www.9292.nl/en allows you to plan your journey from door to door, i.e. enter a street address as a starting point, and Schiphol as the end point.

Get your ticket from a live person at the ticket counter, or make sure you have enough coins for the machines. The machines in The Hague do not take credit cards or paper money and I believe they only accept Dutch debit cards. The NS railway company got stuck in the previous century...

The Hague
Level Contributor
54 posts
34 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Train from The Hague to Amsterdam

Schiphol is in between The Hague and Amsterdam, so you will not need to go to Amsterdam first. The trip from The Hague to Schiphol takes about 30 minutes.

There are six direct trains an hour from The Hague to Schiphol. Four per hour from Central Station, two per hour from Hollands Spoor. Central Station is also a somewhat more pleasant train station than Hollands Spoor (although a bit of a mess due to construction works)

You can check http://www.ns.nl/en/travellers/home for exact schedules.

Moscow
Level Contributor
822 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Train from The Hague to Amsterdam

I will be traveling from The Hague to Schipol Airport but will have a day to spare and plan to spend this walking around Amsterdam (on a Monday). Please can someone advise what is the most practical option regarding luggage - i.e. get off the train at Schipol and drop the luggage in one of the airport lockers, or go all the way to Amsterdam and drop the luggage at the station storage ?

Amsterdam, The...
Level Contributor
16,943 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Train from The Hague to Amsterdam

@riko09, just a thought... Drop them at the airport. There are two handy options of traveling from Schiphol airport to Amsterdam and back: trains between the airport and Amsterdam Central Station (20 minutes direct, the station is at the northern edge of the center), and bus 197 (30 minutes direct) which stops at Museumplein (where Rijksmuseum, Van Gogh Museum and Stedelijk Museum are), and at Leidseplein (loads of restaurants, bars, nightclubs; at the southern edge of the center).

So you may want to take the train into Amsterdam, walk around zig zagging north to south and then taking bus 197 back to the airport, or the other way around (lots of cheap Asian eateries in Zeedijk near Central Station), or even take bus 197 both ways.

www.9292.nl/en for the train and bus times, and to see where the stops are (you can click to see maps), they also have a smartphone 9292 app.

Also look here for ideas: iamsterdam.com/en-GB/…stopover

Cecilia

Amsterdam

cile.home.xs4all.nl/travel/amsterdam_tips.htm

Edited: 05 January 2014, 10:53
Amsterdam, The...
Level Contributor
16,943 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: Train from The Hague to Amsterdam

@riko09, Monday has the Noordermarkt vintage/ antiques market from 9am to about 1pm.

Moscow
Level Contributor
822 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Train from The Hague to Amsterdam

@Cecile74, great advice and insights, thank you very much!

Where is a good place to shop for cheese (and other local food products) in either The Hague or Amsterdam? More so, a market popular with locals rather than tourists.

Fort Worth, Texas
Destination Expert
for Amsterdam
Level Contributor
13,865 posts
Save Reply
8. Re: Train from The Hague to Amsterdam

the aforementioned noordermarkt will have cheese stalls

Amsterdam, The...
Level Contributor
16,943 posts
Save Reply
9. Re: Train from The Hague to Amsterdam

Yep, what Steve says. Don't forget that you are allowed to taste a small bit before buying a larger chunk, ask if they don't offer.

Amsterdam, The...
Destination Expert
for Olympic National Park, Port Townsend
Level Contributor
8,579 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Train from The Hague to Amsterdam

No cheese stalls on Monday at Noordermarkt.

Get answers to your questions about The Hague
Recent Conversations