We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Brussels Airport (BRU) to Aachen, Germany by car

Huntsville, TX
1 post
Save Topic
Brussels Airport (BRU) to Aachen, Germany by car

Hello,

This is my first post, and my first trip to Europe... so I am a novice at both!

My husband, and I, as well as a business acquaintance will be arriving in Brussels next Saturday. We will be renting a car at the airport (BRU) to travel to Aachen, Germany. My husband and his co-worker will be working 2 weeks in Germany. Are there any tips on getting out of the ariport and on the correct road (s) to Aachen. Can anyone tell me about how long it will take? It is my understanding that it is approximately 90 miles (146 km).

Mannheim, Germany
Destination Expert
for Zurich, Mannheim
Level Contributor
13,697 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Brussels Airport (BRU) to Aachen, Germany by car

It is a motorway (Autobahn) all along. You will probably need about 1.5 to two hours (depending on the traffic) one way. However if you don't need to go far out of cities, or to carry a lot of luggage with you all the time, I would recommend looking into the option of taking the train - especially if you have never been to Europe.

For three persons on longer distances, a rented car is probably cheaper than train. If you let it stand around however it will be more expensive. I would recommend (unless you need the car for business or have it paid from expenses) to get to your hotel in Aachen, leave the luggage there, have a rest from the flight and then go to Eupen (just over the border to Belgium) and return the car there. This way you avoid the quite high fees that you would pay for car return in another country. Return from Eupen by Aachen's city bus.

.be
Level Contributor
77 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Brussels Airport (BRU) to Aachen, Germany by car

texlady,

try this site to find out more about your trip by car from zaventem (= brussels airport) (www.brusselsairport.be) to aachen. it's a 1,5 hour drive (normal traffic).

http://www21.mappy.com/sidy+cpHSdvmNnMn21w/D?out=2;lang=en

the site for the train is www.b-rail.be

it's easy and comfortable.

enjoy!

Alexandria, Virginia
Level Contributor
467 posts
238 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Brussels Airport (BRU) to Aachen, Germany by car

The drive to Aachen in very nice. Just get yourself a good road map of Belgium from somewhere like Barnes and Noble or online.

One warning....Belgium drivers are very fast and very agressive. So be ready to drive like that! :)

Dallas
Level Contributor
152 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Brussels Airport (BRU) to Aachen, Germany by car

Might want to consider taking the train to Aachen and renting a car there...I've always found the rates at BRU to be really high and think they are because the EU is there.