We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

In Brussels for 14 days, would like to visit Paris

Washington State...
Level Contributor
39 posts
1 review
Save Topic
In Brussels for 14 days, would like to visit Paris

I'll be in Brussels and would like to spend New Years in Paris...

I know that I need to take the Thalys train, now I don't know where to stay and what to do when arrive.

Need help in finding a hotel that is near the train so that I can return to Brussels.

1) Any must see and do for 2 days in Paris?

2) Where exactly will Thalys be stationed?

Any advice will be appreciated.

Antwerpen, Belgium
Level Contributor
2,729 posts
212 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: In Brussels for 14 days, would like to visit Paris

Thalys arrives in Paris Gare du Nord. If you want a hotel close to the station, the Terminus Nord would be a good choice. It's a decent hotel (3*) right in front of the station. Friends of ours always stay there because it's so conveniently located when they arrive by Thalys. Personally I prefer to stay in the 6th or the 7th but this involves a metro ride.

Alexandria, Virginia
Level Contributor
467 posts
238 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: In Brussels for 14 days, would like to visit Paris

I spent last New years eve in Paris and had a blast. You will want to make hotel reservations ASAP, since they get booked up quickly.

Before midnight, everyone gathers on the Champs de Elyesse (sorry, cant remember how to spell it) and drink champagne (last year there was fireworks at midnight but that was for the Olympic bid).

Try to get there on the 29th or 30th so you have a few days to sightsee.

I would definately catch a museum (either the Louvre or de Orsay), the eifel tower, the arc de triomph, Notre Dame...... and whatever else floats your boat. The metro is easy to get around on....but you can learn more about that on the paris page. :)

Good luck :)

Nottingham, UK
Level Contributor
16 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: In Brussels for 14 days, would like to visit Paris

Hi

We will also be in Brussels for Christmas/New Year, we New Yeared there a few years ago and had such a great time we are back for more this year. Their Christmas events/entertainments are fantastic fun, and the people so nice and friendly.

However, we brought in last New Year in Paris at the Cafe Leffe nextdoor to the Shakespeare Bookshop, which is just across the rue from Notre Dame and had a great time in very unassuming relaxed French company.

Like the previous poster, I would also recommend staying in the 6th Arondissment, we rented an apartment in the 5th near Gare de L'Austerlitz, which was fine, if a little cold and austere (the appmnt) but always seemed to wend our way back to St Germain (6th) through choice so will definitely stay there if we return to Paris in future.

Whatever you decide - have fun. The Parisians seem to make a much bigger deal of New Year than they do of Christmas, and make sure you try the Galette de Roi (King Cakes) which you will see on sale for the occasion.

4. Re: In Brussels for 14 days, would like to visit Paris

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 12 May 2009, 22:17