We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Pickpockets in Brussels railway stations

Auckland Region...
Level Contributor
1 post
6 reviews
Save Topic
Pickpockets in Brussels railway stations

BEWARE !!!!!!

I had my wallet stolen from my coat pocket in Brussels Nord a couple of days ago. Afterwards of course, everyone (police included) told me that the Brussels stations are really bad, and Brussels Nord is the worst.

I am really careful, so they're out there looking for you. Be especially careful in the crush when boarding trains.

London, United...
Level Contributor
2,852 posts
1 review
Save Reply
1. Re: Pickpockets in Brussels railway stations

Main line railway stations in big cities around the world suffer from the same problem. Paris Gare Du Nord and Brussels Midi are particularly bad, as you get dodgy characters hanging around the Eurostar arrivals area looking for tourists who are lost, or otherwise an easy target.

Amsterdam Centraal is also bad for this.

The only thing you can do, is keep your wallet somewhere secure, and don't keep you money and credit cards all in one place. Also, leave some of your valuables in a secure location in your hotel.

Having said that about big cities, the one place where I was mugged was Gent. I tripped over some uneven cobbles in the street, and the person who offered to "help" me up also "helped" himself to my wallet. This was at 1am, and I had spent much of the evening in "De Dulle Griet", which is a really nice beer bar. This just goes to show that a lot a criminals are opportunists, who try and spot easy targets, such as those who are lost and/or drunk.

Amsterdam, The...
Destination Expert
for Munich, Amsterdam, The Ardennes
Level Contributor
7,289 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Pickpockets in Brussels railway stations

It also really helps to wear a jacket with inside pocket (with zipper) for your wallet. This is really safe, only when really threaten you with force you can lose it. Much better than keeping your wallet in the pockets of your pants.

Ghent, Belgium
Level Contributor
2,556 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Pickpockets in Brussels railway stations

Paul, besides that fact that it's a shame this happened in my city you can hardly call it mugged though.

Coincidentaly the only time I was pickpockets was in London on a busy crosswalk by Knghtsbrige.

You also think oh this is not going to happen to me, but it can.

The Midi station as already mentioned above is one of the worst, simply because it is one of the busiest with the arrival of all high speed trains there, and thus lots of unsuspecting travelers who are somewhat lost and lose track of their belongings.

New Hamburg, NY
1 post
Save Reply
4. Re: Pickpockets in Brussels railway stations

....OCT 2010, guess they are still at it. My wallet was pickpockted at Brussels station while boarding train...in fact the guy who did the deed and handed my wallet off was jeering at me on the train! They started using my cards and ran up 4800USD in one hour! Luckily my passport and another card where in a different location...STAY OUT OF BRUSSELS!

Level Contributor
2 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Pickpockets in Brussels railway stations

I was in Gent St Pieters station just yesterday and a teenage girl tried to pick pocket my wallet as I was struggling to take our baby pram on board the train. Dispicable and makes me sick. I confronted her and she claimed she didn't speak English. She then jumped onto the train and I'm sure went down the carriage and jumped off in Ghent rather than make the trip to Brussels Midi. They should put cameras on the platform and station if they want to put people off.

London
Destination Expert
for London
Level Contributor
18,831 posts
43 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Pickpockets in Brussels railway stations

Pickpockets are everywhere, and can usually be foiled by taken reasonable care and precautions wherever you are. It is annoying, frustrating, upsetting and inconvenient to lose your valuables, but you don't come to any actual harm.

I'd be more interested in warnings about physical assualts and robberies at knife/gun point rather than all these pointless witterings about pickpockets.

Edited: 10 April 2012, 10:38
Level Contributor
2 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Pickpockets in Brussels railway stations

I agree pick pockets are somewhat pointless vs murder, rape and crimes against humanity.

Centereach
Level Contributor
157 posts
51 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Pickpockets in Brussels railway stations

pickpockets can occur in any tourist area, my friend had cash stolen from his front pocket on a bus in Paris, nice area and during daylight hours........I agree with an inside pocket of a jacket, pick pockets go for the obvious.........having said that, I will be in Brussels next week and my only concern is carrying my camera, are there incidents of camera steeling ?

Brussels, Belgium
Level Contributor
31,609 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Pickpockets in Brussels railway stations

If it's a particularly outstanding camera, perhaps - I don't know. But a "normal" automatic camera would not attract attention for itself, it is more that using one can mark the user as a tourist and also distract them from the bag over their shoulder... which is especially dangerous if this is in a crowded place like (at times) around the Mannekin Pis. But I walk around Brussels with a camera all the time, and nobody has ever tried to grab it, nor have any of my friends who use iphones, ipads and laptops in public, has any problems. BUT they would know better than to take their eye (/hand/foot) off them, while they attend to something else - which is how I got my camera pinched in Japan, of all places!

10. Re: Pickpockets in Brussels railway stations

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 12 April 2013, 10:24