We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

For how long/how many trips is a Thalys ABS ticket valid?

San Francisco...
Level Contributor
1,076 posts
136 reviews
Save Topic
For how long/how many trips is a Thalys ABS ticket valid?

If I buy an ABS ticket, for a train that leaves Paris at 10am, and I arrive in Bruges at 1pm, will I be able to use that same ticket the next morning to get to Ghent?

If so, at what point does an ABS ticket become invalid for travel within Belgium?

If it matters any re: the best kind of ticket to buy, two days after arriving in Bruges, I'll be taking a train to Amsterdam.

Brussels
Level Contributor
5,672 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: For how long/how many trips is a Thalys ABS ticket valid?

< If I buy an ABS ticket, for a train that leaves Paris at 10am, and I arrive in Bruges at 1pm, will I be able to use that same ticket the next morning to get to Ghent? >

No.

<at what point does an ABS ticket become invalid for travel within Belgium>

When you have used it for one journey to or from the terminus station of your Thalys (Brussels, Antwerp or Liège), within one day of your departure or arrival there.

thalys.com/be/…any-belgian-station

San Francisco...
Level Contributor
1,076 posts
136 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: For how long/how many trips is a Thalys ABS ticket valid?

Does it remain valid to for the second leg of my trip, from Brussels to Bruges?

I'm planning to buy an ABS ticket from Paris to Bruxelles-Midi, and have been told that same ticket will get me to Bruges at no extra charge (even though Paris-Bruges costs more than Paris-Bruxelles-Midi). This makes no sense to me, but it does work financially in my favor, so I'm hoping it's true.

Brussels, Belgium
Level Contributor
34,539 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: For how long/how many trips is a Thalys ABS ticket valid?

It's true and not true (the way you express it!). Yes, ABS ticket is valid from Paris to Any Belgian Station beyond Brussels, which includes Brugge. Where there seems to be some misunderstanding is with respect to this being "at no extra charge". ABS IS an extra charge! It costs €7 on top of the Paris-Brussels price.

If you compare prices for the same departure from Paris on the same date, you will find a difference in price depending on whether you select Paris-Brussels only OR ABS option, covering onward travel to Brugge (or any other Belgian Station) no later than the day after arrival in Brussels.

The €7 flat fare compares with a price of €13.50 standard single for Brussels-Brugge if purchased separately, e.g. when spending more than one night in Brussels.

Once you have your ABS ticket, of course there is no FURTHER charge on top of that - but the ABS option already includes an additional charge compared with the cost of getting to Brussels. It just so happens that this is a flat rate covering ANY other destination in Belgium, which - for Brugge at least, and/or for someone over 26 - is a good buy compared with the price of a separate ticket for the Brussels-Brugge trip.

San Francisco...
Level Contributor
1,076 posts
136 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: For how long/how many trips is a Thalys ABS ticket valid?

Now I get it and now it makes sense. I appreciate the time and effort to help me understand the system. That's part of the fun and interest of traveling.

It sure would be more straightforward if Thalys allowed one to enter one's starting point, and one's destination, and get a price, without the confusion ABS causes.

5. Re: For how long/how many trips is a Thalys ABS ticket valid?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 20 January 2014, 05:17