We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Belgium Visa Category

7 posts
Save Topic
Belgium Visa Category

Hi,

I am traveling to Boom for Tomorrowland 2013. I need to apply for visa to enter Belgium.

As I was going through the visa application form I came across the section where they ask you chose the type of visa you are applying. I am confused between 'tourist' visa category or a 'cultural event' category.

There is another query. On the next page they ask you details about the 'Inviting party'. I am not sure which option should I chose as there are no specific details in the travel package I purchased from tomorrowland. There are four options: 'Company Invitation', Personal Invitation', 'No Invitation', 'Temporary Accommodation'.

Can someone please guide me?!!

Thanks

Brussels, Belgium
Level Contributor
32,391 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Belgium Visa Category

1) Unless you are performing at this festival, you are coming as a tourist. Being a member of the audience does not constitute "participating" in a cultural, sporting etc. event! See https:/…Short_stay_for_tourism_purposes.aspx and in particular https://dofi.ibz.be/sites/dvzoe/EN/Applicati…

2) If you had an invitation from a resident of Belgium, you would know about it: as you don't, the correct indication is "no invitation". As you don't even give a location in your profile, it's impossible to guess what nationality you might have, and therefore to know whether there are any particular issues for that nationality, such as whether or not you need an invitation...

3) The experts on applying for BELGIAN visas are not the general public but the competent BELGIAN authorities (IBZ site already given is that of the Immigration Office, or see …belgium.be/en/… = Ministry of Foreign Affairs).

7 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Belgium Visa Category

Thanks for the help. I will choose 'Tourist' visa category. As for the nationality, I am an Indian citizen but I am studying in UK. Hence, I will be applying for my visa in London.

Although I contacted the embassy but they were closed over the weekend. So I thought I would ask here. As for the invitation section, there is an option for temporary accommodation as well. I think I will clear it out from the embassy.

Anyways, thanks again.

Brussels
Level Contributor
5,572 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Belgium Visa Category

<I am confused between 'tourist' visa category or a 'cultural event' category>

I am not sure that it matters too much, but I think you could call Tomorrowland a "cultural event".

< On the next page they ask you details about the 'Inviting party' >

If you are coming on a package trip, there is no "inviting party". Question 31 says that you should put the name and address of your accommodation (hotel etc.) in that case.

< There are four options: 'Company Invitation', Personal Invitation', 'No Invitation', 'Temporary Accommodation' >

Where is this on the application form ? I can't see it. I would say the answer is "No invitation". An invitation would normally be from e.g. a friend that you were coming to stay with ("personal invitation") or a company you were visiting on a business trip ("company invitation").

Edited: 24 June 2013, 12:22
7 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Belgium Visa Category

This application form is on the UK website of Belgium Embassy.

I also thought of selecting' no invitation'. But when I saw the 'temporary accommodation' option I got confused as I will be staying in the accommodation(Dreamville) provided by event. But there is no proper address or contact number for that place.

Brussels
Level Contributor
5,572 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Belgium Visa Category

< This application form is on the UK website of Belgium Embassy >

Yes - that is what I was looking at vfs-be-uk.com/pdf/…2012_121112.pdf .

< I will be staying in the accommodation (Dreamville) provided by event. But there is no proper address or contact number for that place >

Simply indicate the name and address of the accommodation as accurately as you can. You will have to supply documentary evidence of your accommodation with the application, so it will be obvious where you are staying. No doubt you are not the only person applying for a visa to go to Tomorrowland !

Incidentally, I follow qaminari's argument in post 1 that the "cultural event" category may really be intended for participants rather than spectators. I'm sure you can't go wrong by selecting "tourist".

As we said, "invitation" definitely refers to an invitation by a private individual (e.g. friend or relative) or a company or organisation (business or official visit of some kind).

Brussels, Belgium
Level Contributor
32,391 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Belgium Visa Category

What link are you making (SAC123sac) between accommodation and "invitation"? A booking with an accommodation-provider of any sort would never be an invitation. You would have invitation from the festival organisers IF you were a performer (artiste), but not as a paying member of the audience.

Residence in the UK should have an effect on your tourist visa situation, but unfortunately the transfer of the responsibility for visa information from the Ministry of Foreign Affairs (diplomatie.be) to the IBZ has resulted in a significant reduction in quality. The link to EU legislation doesn't work, the supposed list of nationalities not subject to visa requirement for less than 3 month stay is given only for airport and transit (not "tourist") visas, and the search module indicating visa situation on the basis of both nationality AND country of residence has been replaced by a list based only on nationality (and only in FR/NL, really useful for the non-Belgians who need to consult it! https://sif-gid.ibz.be/FR/les_pays_tiers_dont_les_ressortissants_sont_soumis_a_l_obligation_de_visa.aspx#I).

Just to add insult to injury, the link to that site on the website of the Belgian Embassy in the UK is still there (www.vfs-be-uk.com/short_term_visa_faq.html#) but it doesn't work - which is a shame as it is also given in answer to the FAQ "Which visa (category) should I apply for?". The website in question appears to have been taken down (diplomatie.be/en/travel/visa/visum.Nodig.aspx) by the Ministry of Foreign Affairs, and not replaced by the IBZ. What a shambles!

Edited: 24 June 2013, 13:17
7. Re: Belgium Visa Category

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 26 June 2014, 06:21