We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Train passes

La Sarre, Quebec...
8 posts
1 review
Save Topic
Train passes

Hello.

I was looking at this website http://www.belgianrail.be/ and discovered a pass called Go Pass 10 which allow someone under 26 to travel for 10 days for 50 euros. Is it worth it? I'm doing a four months trip starting in september and would like to see/experiment some nice cities. I was currently making some researches about Belgium and was wondering what was best since I wanna keep a low budget.

I'm also going to Amsterdam next, so should I buy the Benelux pass instead?

Anyway, I just wanted to experience train, it won't be my main way to travel since it's quite expensive. Should I wait for another country (I'm traveling to Germany, Austria, Switzerland, Hungry, Poland, Bosnia, and more)?

Thank you so much for your help.

Brussels
Level Contributor
5,250 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Train passes

< I was looking at this website http://www.belgianrail.be/ and discovered a pass called Go Pass 10 which allow someone under 26 to travel for 10 days for 50 euros >

It doesn't allow you to travel for 10 days. It allows you to make 10 single journeys (within Belgium), i.e. 10 trips for €5 each. The name "Pass" is rather misleading because it isn't a pass in the traditional sense.

Edited: 30 July 2013, 22:01
La Sarre, Quebec...
8 posts
1 review
Save Reply
2. Re: Train passes

Can I travel from anywhere to anywhere within Belgium?

Brussels, Belgium
Level Contributor
30,839 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Train passes

Why don't you read the information you already found on the belgianrail site? It says quite clearly on belgianrail.be/en/…go-pass-10.aspx that you can use it for 10 single trips from/to anywhere in Belgium. Although when you look at the additional information, you will find that a major exception is Brussels Airport, where using Go-Pass-10 would mean paying €4.44 on top of €5 which would make the cost using Go-Pass-10 €9.44; so if travelling e.g. BRU-Brussels, is cheaper using a standard single including the so-called Diabolo fee, for €7.80; for BRU-Brugge, on the other, hand it is better to use Go-Pass-10 and pay the supplement (again, €9.44), because a standard single would cost €19.60 (prices for domestic travel from sefora.b-rail.be/sefora/Sefora/result.do - note that you must use the French or Dutch names of stations involved, e.g. Bruxelles-Nat-Aéroport for Brussels Airport).

In addition, you should note that standard single fares for some trips within Belgium are in any case below €5, e.g. Brugge-Oostende (€4), and some WEEKEND return fares below €10, e.g. Brussels-Leuven (€6.20) and Brugge-Ghent/Ghent-Brugge (€7.40).

There is no need whatsoever to buy a Benelux pass (or other multi-country pass) to cover travel in Belgium plus ONE trip to Amsterdam from Belgium. Using NON-high-speed trains, Brussels-Amsterdam costs €36 and Antwerp-Amsterdam, €26. Train travel within Belgium is not in my opinion expensive and between Belgium and neighbouring countries it need not be expensive as long as you either avoid high-speed trains like Thalys or book these 3 months in advance, when prices are much lower.

I don't really understand "Should I wait for another country (I'm traveling to Germany, Austria, Switzerland, Hungry, Poland, Bosnia, and more)?". You are the only one who knows how much you would be travelling in which countries, without which information it is impossible to calculate anything. At any rate if you would be making 10 trips within Belgium, Go-Pass-10 would be your best buy for Belgium (but not if you would only be visiting Brugge from Brussels, and especially not if this would be by return trip on a Saturday or Sunday). If you would not be travelling extensively in the Netherlands (e.g. if you would only have one international train trip in, such as Brussels/Antwerp-Amsterdam, and another out, e.g. Amsterdam-Düsseldorf - or if you are flying out from Amsterdam) there is no way you could get enough use out of a Benelux Eurail pass to make this worthwhile, and you should just buy an individual train (www.b-europe.com/Travel) or bus ticket (www.eurolines.be) for the journey(s) in question.

When you have worked out exactly what trips you would be making in the countries mentioned, you can check what these would cost on an individual basis and this will give you a basis for evaluating any passes - regional, national or international - that could be relevant: but I can already tell you that train travel is relatively cheap in Hungary and Poland so it is unlikely that you would need a pass there. You can use http://reiseauskunft.bahn.de/bin/query.exe/en to research timetables for all of these, which (as DB is German Railways) will also give you prices for journeys starting or ending in Germany.

Brussels
Level Contributor
5,250 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Train passes

< Can I travel from anywhere to anywhere within Belgium? >

Yes - but you have to buy an extra ticket called Diabolo for €4.44 if you want to travel to or from Brussels Airport belgianrail.be/en/travel-tickets/tickets/sta…

Go Pass 10 is a card similar to this http://tinyurl.com/qya7kfp

It has 10 lines - you fill in the details of each journey you make on one of the lines.

A Pass can be shared by more than one person. This one seems to have been used by 5 people to travel from Brussels to De Panne (on the Belgian coast) and then back again to Brussels 10 days later http://tinyurl.com/olx4ekl

La Sarre, Quebec...
8 posts
1 review
Save Reply
5. Re: Train passes

Thank you very much for those precious information.

I think I will go with the Go Pass 10 and spend some time in Belgium. Then I'll buy a train ticket to Amsterdam or carpool.

The info about Poland was handy, I'll try to use train there also.

6. Re: Train passes

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 02 August 2014, 05:17