We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Speculoos question

new york
Level Contributor
910 posts
1,097 reviews
Save Topic
Speculoos question

I have tasted speculoos spread here in NY and I would say it is delicious and a bit like graham crackers in taste. I read a reference here to "crunchy" speculoos. so questions:

1. what kinds of speculoos are there--maybe there are more?

2. I am envisioning crunchy to be a variant much like we have crunchy & smooth peanut butte. Am I correct?

3. are there particularly good brands? Is this a supermarket basic one should pick up? i don't think we can take it in our carry-ons alas.

4.or should I nust nab some here at a Le Pain Quotidien which I believe is a Belgian-based chain anyway? thank you.

Ghent, Belgium
Level Contributor
2,556 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Speculoos question

In Europe you would be looking for the Lotus brand which is the one who produces the most Spekuloos. In the US it seems to be called the below.

www.shopbiscoff.com/category/biscoffspread

Brussels, Belgium
Level Contributor
31,653 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Speculoos question

1. "Speculoos" normally refers to biscuits (cookies to you) flavoured with a particular mix of spices - cinnamon, nutmeg, cloves, ginger, cardamom. The same mixture is used in the spreads developed, following the increasing use of chocolate and hazelnut-based spreads, in recent years (note that LPQ says their speculoos spread is their newest: http://pantry.lepainquotidien.com/organic-speculoos-spread.html), and in some desserts, e.g. ice-cream and cheesecake.

2. I imagine a "crunchy" speculoos spread could only have speculoos (biscuit) crumbs in it - which is indeed the case of the LPQ spread described in the above link.

3. Re: Speculoos question

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 03 January 2015, 05:19