We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Guide Book Recommendation for Belgium

New York City, New...
Level Contributor
71 posts
Save Topic
Guide Book Recommendation for Belgium

I have been doing most of my travel planning online recently, but I still feel that it's worth bringing at least one guide book along on every trip. If you have been to Belgium recently, can you recommend a guide book? I'm traveling to Antwerp, Ghent and Brussels, so I'd like the guide book to cover those cities.

Many thanks.

new york
Level Contributor
957 posts
1,128 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Guide Book Recommendation for Belgium

We use Rick Steve's

Destination Expert
for Bruges
Level Contributor
1,104 posts
28 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Guide Book Recommendation for Belgium

Lonely Planet & DK Eyewitness are very good.

Amazon.com has a range, couple of examples below:

Edited: 08 May 2014, 07:50
Destination Expert
for Bruges
Level Contributor
908 posts
32 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Guide Book Recommendation for Belgium

I am sure Rick Steve's is very good - but it's popularity could mean that you spend your whole trip surrounded by fellow Americans. The main sites & sights will be covered by whichever guide you use, but you might get some different recommendations for meals etc, which may create a different trip for you.

Our community is here to help!Ask questions, get advice and more from travellers like you.
Join TripAdvisor
Portland, Oregon USA
Level Contributor
2,732 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Guide Book Recommendation for Belgium

I like to make day trips from a base, so I've always used Earl Steinbicker's "Daytrips in Holland, Belgium and Luxembourg". The publisher is Hastings House and you can probably find copies at Amazon.

If you Google "Earl Steinbicker" and then click on the "Lifes Little Adventures" entry, you can get to an interesting blog he has set up. You can see (for free) some of the day trips that have appeared in his books. I don't use "i" products but he has apps for some of the various mobile devices.

I don't "do" Facebook, so I don't know anything about his Facebook pages. But you can check them out at www.facebook.com/earl.steinbicker .

I've used Mr. Steinbicker's guides for more than two dozen trips into Europe. He has never let me down.

Glen Rock, New...
Level Contributor
94 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Guide Book Recommendation for Belgium

no recommendations for guide books but if you go to the tourist info offices in any of the cities you plan to visit they all have a ton of info... in English and I recommend picking up the "USE_IT" Guides, they have a good map, points of interest are numbered on the map and good info with humor.

6. Re: Guide Book Recommendation for Belgium

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 17 May 2015, 08:16