We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Nightlife in Bruge?

Burnley, United...
Level Contributor
12 posts
6 reviews
Save Topic
Nightlife in Bruge?

A couple of friends and I are to visit Bruge around September time. From what I have read there isnt much nightlife here? Could anyone advise me on this please? I was thinking of travelling to Ostend for nights out. How much would a taxi be form Ostend back to Bruge late at night? Or where could we go for some nightlife? Thanks

Bromley
Destination Expert
for Bruges
Level Contributor
1,050 posts
28 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Nightlife in Bruge?

Hi

What sort of nightlife are you looking for? What days of the week are you looking at going?

There is not a big clubbing scene in Bruges centre, but it has a very vibrant bar scene, many that have great sound systems and DJs, which are open to the early hours of the morning - 04:00 and later.

Ostend is 20 miles from Bruges - I would expect a taxi late at night to be €80 - €100

Let me know what you are after and I can point a few spots out.

Burnley, United...
Level Contributor
12 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Nightlife in Bruge?

We will be there from Mon-Thurs. I didnt expect there to be bars open that late. We are not too bothered about night clubs, just wanted to be able to stop out late drinking beer really, so knowing a few places to visit would be a massive help. Would there be any cheaper way to get back from Ostend if we decided to go there, or would you just recommend we stop in Bruge? Im sure Bruge is going to be more of our thing though, from what you say about the nightife here. Thanks

Wales, United...
Destination Expert
for Bargain Travel, Cruises
Level Contributor
47,993 posts
429 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Nightlife in Bruge?

Stay in Bruges - it's a great place to drink beer! We had a great Tuesday evening in the Brian Boru Irish pub sampling the local brews, and the following day we went to the De Halve Maan brewery to try even more! Another good place is the Cambrinus, but it was packed when we got there so we moved on!

Edited: 24 June 2014, 20:36
Bromley
Destination Expert
for Bruges
Level Contributor
1,050 posts
28 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Nightlife in Bruge?

Hi

Mon -Thurs are not the best nights of the week in Bruges or Ostend. You may find a few of the bars listed closed on one or two of the nights. Ostend will be the same.

Only other option for Ostend is a train, but the last train is 22:51.

Key areas are Eiermarkt - a small square with around a dozen bars that are open to 3 - 4 am at the weekend. They also play loud music etc.

There are a few late night bars around Kuiperstraat

Lively bars on 't Zand

Bar Guide

https:/…cafegids.pdf

Pub Crawls:

tripadvisor.co.uk/ShowTopic-g188671-i448-k65…

Brewery Tour - for the day

http://www.halvemaan.be/index.php?id=13&L=2

Other options - not all party bars, but worth a visit to loose a few hours...

THE DRUID’S CELLAR - Sint- Amandsstraat 11

DE REPUBLIEK - Sint-Jakobsstraat 36

Le Trappiste - Kuipersstraat 33

BRUGS BEERTJE - Kemelstraat 5

Nocturne - Wollestraat 29

http://www.nocturne-brugge.be/

Comptoir Des Arts - Vlamingstraat, 53

http://www.comptoirdesarts.be/home.html

Poatersgat - Vlamingstraat 82

poatersgat.com/index.php…

The Use-It Bruges guide is good, you can pick up printed copies in the youth hostels.

http://www.use-it.be/bruges/map/

There are more, but this should give you a few to start with, have a wander and see what you find. All good to sit around with friends, drink decent beer and talk nonsense.

Bromley
Destination Expert
for Bruges
Level Contributor
1,050 posts
28 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Nightlife in Bruge?

From post 3

Cambrinus is on Philipstockstraat. Good food, 400+ beers. you will most likely need to book a table. Wander in lunchtime and you should be fine for the evening.

Worth a visit,

I would say stay in Bruges - plenty of places to explore and save the hassle and cost of getting back from Ostend.

Edited: 24 June 2014, 20:39
Burnley, United...
Level Contributor
12 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Nightlife in Bruge?

So was the nightlife good even though it was mid-week? We just don't want to be heading back to the hotel before midnight really. Are all the places at night easy to get around? Thanks

Burnley, United...
Level Contributor
12 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Nightlife in Bruge?

Thanks for all the info on the bars. 400+ beers. Wow! I just hope everything isn't closed late in because of the days we are there. Just a couple more questions if you would to care to answer them please.

1. Is it pretty simple to get from Brussels to bruge by train, as we fly into Brussels?

2. Would you recommend any thing to do/see other than the brewery and belfry?

3. Would you recommend day trips out anywhere else, that could be done in a day?

4. Finally, how cheap is the beer in bruge, and also how much is to eat out?

Thanks in advance for all your further information.

Austin, Texas
Level Contributor
300 posts
44 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Nightlife in Bruge?

Beer in Bruges is cheaper than bottled water (or pretty damn close). I love Poatersgat and Brugs Beertje bars. Amazing selections at both, although Poatersgat is cheaper than Beertje.

Brussels to Bruges is very easy. Check Belgian rail for timetables:

www.belgianrail.be/en/Splash.aspx…

Barcelona, Spain
Level Contributor
4,836 posts
Save Reply
9. Re: Nightlife in Bruge?

Instead of doing the effort of going to Oostende at night, go to Gent for a day trip.

Also, from Brugge, a quick visit to Damme is nice for a few hours.

Bromley
Destination Expert
for Bruges
Level Contributor
1,050 posts
28 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Nightlife in Bruge?

Hi

Generally:

small beer - 25cl - will be in the €2 range

bottled beer - 33cl - will be in the €3.5 - €4 range

Generally the bars around the Markt will be 50% more expensive for their drinks than bars a short walk away. None of the bars on my list are on the square and will be in the range above.

Eating out can be expensive, but look for places away from the Markt.

Spaghetti Bolognaise \ croque monsieur will be in the €9 - 10 mark

Gent is worth a day trip - there is a map on the Use-It website to give you an idea. It is about 30 minutes away by train.