We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Bastogne travel

Placentia...
Level Contributor
91 posts
1 review
Save Topic
Bastogne travel

Hello,

Some friends and I will be heading in for a few weeks in late September/early October. As part of our trip, id like to see the Bastogne/Luxembourg area to see a few Bulge sights, and then stop in nuremberg for an afternoon on the eay to Munich.

My question is should we rent a car from Paris to hit those 3 areas, or should we take s train from paris? Also, should we skip Paris and fly straight in to Luxembourg or Belgium?

Thanks in advance

Brussels, Belgium
Level Contributor
32,686 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Bastogne travel

Firstly, if you don't want to visit Paris, don't fly into Paris unless you have no other option! If you can possibly fly into Luxembourg, that would be easiest, otherwise Brussels (BRU), Charleroi (CRL) or even Frankfurt would be better.

Secondly, if you hire a car in one country and return it in another, you will pay a premium. So if you want to drive from Luxembourg to Nürnberg and Munich, you should consider arriving in a German-rented car in the first place, which would favour flying into Frankfurt.

It is possible to get to Bastogne by train from Brussels (about 3 hrs), Charleroi (2 1/2 hrs, changing in Namur) or Luxembourg (city) (about 2 hrs), but in all cases you have to change to a bus - included in the price of the train ticket - at LIBRAMONT. Bastogne-Nord is the closest stop to the Mardasson Memorial, War Museum etc. but a car would definitely be useful in that area.

In addition, Luxembourg-Nürnberg by train is not that easy, it takes between 6h15 and 7h13 with multiple changes, see http://reiseauskunft.bahn.de/bin/query.exe/en

Champlon, Belgium
Level Contributor
5,806 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Bastogne travel

The so-called Frankfurt Hahn airport (well, at least that is what Ryanair call it) is probably as close to Luxembourg City as it is to Frankfurt so might make a useful touchdown point where you could hire a car within Germany.

Otherwise the main Frankfurt airport is much the same sort of distance from Luxembourg City and Bastogne as CDG at Paris, so definitely, from a car hire point of view, a better starting point for your trip.

The other possibility, which will minimise doubling back on yourselves, is to fly into Luxembourg and take public transport (or even a taxi) to Trier in Germany and hire a car there before returning to Luxembourg City and Bastogne.

Placentia...
Level Contributor
91 posts
1 review
Save Reply
3. Re: Bastogne travel

Thanks so much for the advice!

Can I realistically land in Frankfurt, rent a car and hit bastogne, lux, and nuremberg in roughly 3-4 days? I know it sounds very rushed, but im only doing 1-2 landmarks in each city, more or less hop out and take a few pictures before moving on to munich. Bastogne is the main area I would need the car as one of the sights I want to see is out in nowhere. The rest might be better for a train I guess

Brussels, Belgium
Level Contributor
32,686 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Bastogne travel

You can use www.viamichelin.com for driving times between Frankfurt and Bastogne (about 4 hours), Bastogne and Luxembourg (depends on where exactly you want to go there), and Luxembourg and Nürnberg (about 5 hours from Luxembourg city); and for the rest it depends on how much you want to do in each area, as well as flight arrival time and however long it takes to rent a car at whichever airport.

If day 1 is used up on travel to Bastogne, you may - depending on exactly what is involved - be able to see everything you want in Bastogne and Luxembourg on day 2 and be ready to move on on day 3; or if not, day 4. It's up to you to work out your schedule to be able to tell whether your plan is realistic.

Edited: 03 August 2014, 23:27
Placentia...
Level Contributor
91 posts
1 review
Save Reply
5. Re: Bastogne travel

Thanks for the link, appreciate the help

6. Re: Bastogne travel

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 05 August 2015, 06:17