We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

buses

Chester, United...
Level Contributor
36 posts
14 reviews
Save Topic
buses

I am planning a day trip to Mons and want to visit St Symphorien military cemetery. I will be arriving by train from Bruges and want to go to the cemetery by bus. Is there a bus from the station and if so what number bus is it and what stop do I ask for at St Symphorien? thanks.

Brussels, Belgium
Level Contributor
32,597 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: buses

The cemetery is at Avenue de la Shangri/rue Nestor Dehon at SPIENNES. TEC bus 134 direction Beaumont takes you from "Mons SNCB" (= station) to Spiennes at 8 mins past each hour on weekdays, see infotec.be/Medeplacer/Horaires/Ligne.aspx… (click on "modifier" to change date and time and on "inverser le sens de la ligne" for return timetable).

The stop Spiennes-Route d'Hyon is on Chaussée de Beaumont a bit before Rue Arthur Duquesne, which you need to turn right into to find Avenue da la Shangri the next turning on the right: cwgc.org/find-a-cemetery/…20CEMETERY ; the next stop is Spiennes Ch. de Beaumont 17, from where you would walk back to Rue A. Duquesne - either stop would be fine.

It is also possible to take TEC bus 22 direction Binche, also from the station (at 35 mins past the hour), to St. Symphorien, but the closest stop on this route, St. Symphorien Ecoles, is further away from the cemetery than either of the 2 mentioned on line 134. See infotec.be/Medeplacer/Horaires/Ligne.aspx… (clicking on the name of the stop gives you an area map, which you can then enlarge by clicking on "élargir").

Edited: 10 August 2014, 20:21
Brussels, Belgium
Level Contributor
32,597 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: buses

Sorry after the stop Spiennes-Route d'Hyon, Rue Arthur Duquesne is on your LEFT: it is on your right if you get off at the next stop, Ch. de Beaumount 17, and walk back!

Chester, United...
Level Contributor
36 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: buses

Many thanks. Most helpful as usual.

Chester, United...
Level Contributor
36 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: buses

I have looked at the suggested websites and have studied the maps and it appears that to get to St. Symphorien by bus entails a walk, when you leave the bus, of about 3+ Kms to reach the cemetery. I have visited many of the battlefields and cemeteries on previous visits and would really like to see St. Symphorien, but a walk of that distance would make it extremely difficult. Are there any tours available in the Mons/Bruges area that visit the cemetery or is there any other way of getting there. I presume a taxi would be very expensive with travelling time and time spent at the cemetery.

Champlon, Belgium
Level Contributor
5,784 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: buses

I think that, most unusually, Qaminari has mistaken the exact position of the cemetery, which is situated in rue Nestor Debron at St.Symphorien and is therefore best accessed by bus 22 from Mons station.

If you alight at the ST.SYMPHORIEN Écoles stop, you walk a few metres forward (in the same direction that the bus is travelling) and then bear right down rue Nestor Debron, keeping straight on (same road name) at the first road junction. The road gradually becomes little more than a country lane, but the steps up to the cemetery soon become obvious on the right hand side at a minor road junction. I would say that it is about 10 minutes walk from the bus stop or about 500 metres.

You can use the SNCB website to check times throughout for your date of travel in English with an origin point of BRUGGE [NMBS] and a destination of SAINT SYMPHORIEN Rue Nestor Debron 24. It will show train and bus times and the length of the walk. It may show services via Spiennes as well but ignore these because of the longer walk.

Chester, United...
Level Contributor
36 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: buses

Thanks very much for that. Have looked at the map and that looks much better and easily manageable. I will follow that route Thanks once again .

7. Re: buses

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 14 August 2015, 05:18