We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Looking for authentic Belgian experiences . . . .

Ottawa, Canada
Level Contributor
61 posts
132 reviews
Save Topic
Looking for authentic Belgian experiences . . . .

. . .. in the following areas:

--> amazing beer tasting experiences . . . a variety of lambics and trappist ales

--> tour of or walking sites for the Battle of Scheldt

--> most authentic Belgian food

I'll be staying on business close to the train station, but have strong legs and a desire to walk beautiful cities. Any and all advise welcome.

Thanks in advance!

Brussels, Belgium
Level Contributor
33,539 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Looking for authentic Belgian experiences . . . .

I think the historical walks connected with the commemoration of the Battle of the Scheldt don't start until the summer (see http://www.antwerpen14-18.be/en/program-item/wandelingen) but suggest you ask at the tourist office inside Centraal Station, in case they have materials in advance - or at the Antwerp 14-18 information desk in the Town Hall: http://www.antwerpen14-18.be/en

There are a couple of other self-guided walks on www.antwerp-tourist-guide.com/antwerpens.html where you will find a link to one around Zurenborg (near Antwerpen-Berchem station) which is good if you are interested in art nouveau. Also this one of South Antwerp: antwerp-tourist-guide.com/Antwerp-City-Tour.…

While you are unlikely to meet any objections to a quest for "Belgian" beer (which you can get almost anywhere, see e.g. http://www.europeanbeerguide.net/antwpubs.htm), you should be aware that Antwerp defines itself as Flemish rather than Belgian. Waffles, on the other hand, must be of either the Brussels or Liège variety: in Belgium itself, the term "Belgian waffle" is meaningless. You can get both at Queen of Waffles but this isn't an endorsement - I haven't tested them yet: spottedbylocals.com/antwerp/queen-of-waffles/

For good local food, try De Taloorkes: www.spottedbylocals.com/antwerp/de-taloorkes/ and for "French" fries: tripadvisor.com/Restaurant_Review-g188636-d2…

Europe
Level Contributor
5,948 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Looking for authentic Belgian experiences . . . .

My favourite for when I have to be in Antwerpen these days is a restaurant called Bourla (behind the theatre with the same name).They have a good choice of Belgian classics on the menu, next to some more creative dishes.

For the beer: there are plenty of bars around the cathedral and in the old city in general, most with a good choice of beers. One of the places I tend to go when I'm around is Paters Vaetje, mainly because they have Karmeliet (one of my favourite triples) on tap.

Just keep in mind that Lambic beers are not that popular in Antwerpen, you’ll find a better choice of those in Brussels. But make sure you have at least one De Koninck (from the tap of course), the local beer from Antwerpen.

Edited: 27 May 2014, 03:27
Ottawa, Canada
Level Contributor
61 posts
132 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Looking for authentic Belgian experiences . . . .

Thanks, great information!

Ottawa, Canada
Level Contributor
61 posts
132 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Looking for authentic Belgian experiences . . . .

I appreciate your detailed answers, thanks!

Ottawa, Canada
Level Contributor
61 posts
132 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Looking for authentic Belgian experiences . . . .

Thanks again, a quick question. Do you pronounce it 'shelt' or scheld'?

Brussels
Level Contributor
5,672 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Looking for authentic Belgian experiences . . . .

<Do you pronounce it 'shelt' or scheld'?>

The river at Antwerp in its native Dutch is called the Schelde.

This is pronounced as 2 syllables: Schel-de.

"Sch" is 2 sounds: s + ch (as in Scottish "loch"); "de" with "e" as in English "the".

Antwerp, Belgium
Level Contributor
3,813 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Looking for authentic Belgian experiences . . . .

And dont ask for a De Koninck in a bar...

In my language it is "a bolleke" which refers to the shape of the glass.

8. Re: Looking for authentic Belgian experiences . . . .

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 29 May 2015, 05:17