We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Things you MUST do ??

Manchester, United...
Level Contributor
79 posts
15 reviews
Save Topic
Things you MUST do ??

My boyfriend and I will be staying in Antwerp from Thursday 19th June to the 22nd then spending the day in Brussels before heading home. Is there anything that anyone would recommend is a must see, or something we should definitely do while in Antwerp?

Does anyone recommend any bars to visit, we're both mid 20s and would like so something which is a little upbeat with some music and a place to dance. We will be visiting for an occasion and would like to know of any nice restaurants, we pretty much will eat anything but it has to be of good quality. Yes, before anyone says this, I am aware of the top rated restaurants but sometimes there are hidden gems which are not always listed on the top rated!

We are staying at the Raddisson and believe it is in walking distance to the centre of Antwerp, so would hopefully be in walking distance to most places?

Also, what are the average prices for alcohol.. We usually drink beer and wine, so if anyone could help with the averages prices then that would be great.

Thank you for any replies!

Antwerp, Belgium
Level Contributor
3,928 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Things you MUST do ??

All depends a bit on what you like to do....

Do you prefer sightseeing, shopping, museums,....

I think you should see the Cathedral (also on the inside) and the Grote Markt.

For food I can not give you addresses of posh places because we can not afford them, but the Rode 7 on het Sint-Jansplein is good, but in not so popular area for tourists.

In case the evenings are warm there is a nice bar in Park Spoor Noord. But the football might be on big screens there :-(.

Edited: 17 June 2014, 18:44
Level Contributor
6,024 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Things you MUST do ??

Main advice: don't try to find bars etc. in the area around your hotel in the evening, it's not worth it. Go the old town (around the cathedral) instead and you'll find plenty of bars and restaurants.

Another good area to go at night is "Zuid" - lots of good bars/clubs, a bit more upscale than the old centre. But you'll have to forgive me if I can't tell you which places exactly are "hot" these days. I lived in that area more than 15 years ago... :-)

On food: it's difficult to find bad food in Antwerpen, and the choice is incredible for such a small city... but somehow, when I'm there, I always tend to go back to the places I already know (e.g. Bourla, Docks Cafe, ...) Last time I was there I was invited in a place called Ardent, which I liked a lot. But it was situated a bit out of the centre. The last bad experience I had in Antwerpen when trying something new was in a place called "The Glorious"; it wasn't glorious at all...

Antwerp, Belgium
Level Contributor
3,928 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Things you MUST do ??

The square were the Ardent is calls Dageraadplaats and there are lots of pleasant bars and good restaurants there or in the area.

It is easy to get to from your hotel by tram 11, direction Berchem station. It is 5 or 6 tramstops away, the tram stops on the square.

4. Re: Things you MUST do ??

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 20 June 2015, 06:15
Get answers to your questions about Antwerp
Recent Conversations