We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Train travel from Antwerp to Amsterdam.

Which Antwerp hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Highlands, Texas
Level Contributor
8 posts
26 reviews
Save Topic
Train travel from Antwerp to Amsterdam.

I purchased 2 tickets from Antwerp to Amsterdam on NL International. The ticket I printed shows a 2 minute changeover at Rotterdam. Is that even possible?

Brussels
Level Contributor
5,427 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Train travel from Antwerp to Amsterdam.

<I purchased 2 tickets from Antwerp to Amsterdam on NL International. The ticket I printed shows a 2 minute changeover at Rotterdam. Is that even possible?>

Yes, because the trains are designed to connect with each other and arrive on opposite sides of the same platform. You can take an earlier train from Antwerp to Rotterdam if you want to allow more time for the change: your ticket allows this.

Brussels
Level Contributor
5,427 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Train travel from Antwerp to Amsterdam.

<You can take an earlier train from Antwerp to Rotterdam if you want to allow more time for the change>

Sorry - what I should have said was: you can take a later train from Rotterdam to Amsterdam if you miss the connection. You will not have to wait long: there are frequent trains between Rotterdam and Amsterdam.

London
Destination Expert
for London
Level Contributor
19,415 posts
43 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Train travel from Antwerp to Amsterdam.

Us Europeans are used to connections with just a few minutes between trains. It's the way we roll here.

Having said that 2 minutes is tight even by our standards, but as it is a dedicated cross-platform connection and one made by hundreds of travellers every day, of course it's possible.

And as stated above, you are travelling on trains that don't have reservations so should the Amsterdam train leave without you and all your fellow travellers, you simply get the next one.

Brussels, Belgium
Level Contributor
31,867 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Train travel from Antwerp to Amsterdam.

Colin56 was right in both cases: whatever departures you selected when purchasing the ticket, this is valid for any trains (other than Thalys) on the route in question on the date of travel given on the ticket. It obviously isn't a Thalys ticket (which would have been for a fixed departure) as that would have been direct from Antwerp to Amsterdam, and the timing of this particular connection in Rotterdam has been the subject of previous questions, see e.g. tripadvisor.com/ShowTopic-g188666-i1463-k758…

So you CAN either take an earlier train from Antwerp, in order to have a longer connection at Rotterdam (except that if you are taking the 09:36 arr. 11:52, the preceding train is 2 hours earlier! Or if this is the trains involved, you can actually get to Rotterdam a few minutes earlier changing at Roosendaal - with a 4-minute connection - instead of staying on the same 09:36 train to Rotterdam) ; or you can take a later train from Rotterdam (although this may be 1 hr later); or even both, if you wish. You are free to take all available IR, IC, ICD trains on the route Antwerp-Roosendaal-Rotterdam-Amsterdam.

Edited: 04 July 2014, 15:15
Highlands, Texas
Level Contributor
8 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Train travel from Antwerp to Amsterdam.

Thanks very much for the input!

Toronto
Level Contributor
505 posts
263 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Train travel from Antwerp to Amsterdam.

I did this exact same trip a month ago and asked the same question.

As others have mentioned it's designed for this so you will have no problem. Your train will pull into Rotterdam and you will just cross the platform. They even announce on your train when pulling into Rotterdam.

Liverpool, United...
Destination Expert
for Liverpool
Level Contributor
14,732 posts
74 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Train travel from Antwerp to Amsterdam.

"Yes, because the trains are designed to connect with each other and arrive on opposite sides of the same platform."

Are you sure that this is always the case?

I've been looking on the NS Hispeed website for trains going from Amsterdam Schipol to Antwerp. All of the trains from Amsterdam arrive into Rotterdam on platform 3, but some of the connecting trains depart from platform 4, while others go from platform 7, but with still only a 2 minute connection time.

Would they hold the train on platform 7 to wait for all passengers transferring trains?

I have actually bought tickets on Thalys from Schipol to Antwerp, but in case I miss that train I have been looking into other options. Waiting 2 hours for the next Thalys isn't one of those options due to time constraints so I would would have to get a IC service.

Rio de Janeiro, RJ
Level Contributor
12 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Train travel from Antwerp to Amsterdam.

Guys, I'll be using the same Thalys train heading to Schiphol from Antwerp next month. I'll probably be caring two pieces of luggage (big ones) as Antwerp is the last stop of a long trip. Is it ok to do that? Should I book Comfort 1 seats for the extra space?

Thanks a bunch!

Brussels, Belgium
Level Contributor
31,867 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Train travel from Antwerp to Amsterdam.

You can't be using "the same Thalys train" as this question is not about travelling on Thalys! The Thalys from Brussels and Antwerp to Schiphol and Amsterdam is direct and does not require any change en route. The very fact that the OP refers to a change at Rottterdam between Antwerp and Amsterdam therefore means he or she could not be travelling on Thalys, but on IC (non-high-speed) trains.

Thalys luggage rules: "On Thalys trains, you may take up to 2 items of luggage (32 kilos and 158 cm maximum per luggage) and 1 small item of handluggage per paying passenger. You can store your luggage on-board free of charge under your own responsibility (note: for security reasons, tag and lock your suitcases. Don't leave them unattended) on:

•the luggage rack above the seats.

•the luggage areas at either end of each carriage for larger suitcases.

•the space on the floor between some of the back-to-back seats."

I don't personally see the need to book first class just for luggage space, which is unaffected by the fact that seats are in rows of 2+1 rather than 2+2 as in second. However, for most of the year, there are more people with large luggage - that is, tourists and students - in second than in first (which is mostly used by business travellers, often making day trips with only a briefcase): so whatever luggage space there is is less likely to be fully occupied in first.

There is a photo of the first class end-of-carriage luggage rack (which looks to me exactly like the second class one!) on here: worldfirstclass.net/en/… - scroll down 12.

Rio de Janeiro, RJ
Level Contributor
12 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Train travel from Antwerp to Amsterdam.

Wow! Thank you very much for your swift and informative answer!