We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

To stay near central station or not?

Utrecht
Level Contributor
188 posts
155 reviews
Save Topic
To stay near central station or not?

I've visited Antwerp quite a number of times and usually we wouldn't stay near the central station but here's the situation.

We will be traveling to Hawaii in November and found a great deal on airfare with KLM leaving from Antwerp to Schiphol by train. Our train will leave around 7 a.m. so we will arrive in Antwerp the night before.

We would like to have a decent meal, a nice bear and a good night sleep. What location would be convenient for us. It's a Sunday don't know if many restaurants are closed on that day.

Mentioned in this post
Antwerp
Antwerp
Antwerp Province, Belgium
Schiphol
Schiphol
Haarlemmermeer, The Netherlands
Brussels, Belgium
Level Contributor
35,968 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: To stay near central station or not?

Leaving from Antwerpen-Centraal at 7 a.m. I would want to be as close as possible to the station, e.g., depending on budget, at the Terminus (http://www.hotelterminus.be/) or Radisson (radissonblu.com/astridhotel-antwerp/location…) - or the Century in Pelikaanstraat.

If you've been to Antwerp before, you will know there are plenty of restaurants on and off DeKeyserlei/Meir so you are bound to find something open, and it's not even that far to walk down to the cathedral/ Grote Markt area for a beer at Peter's Vaatje or Het Elfde Gebod. Jewish restaurants like Hoffy's in Lange Kiewitstraat (52) and Lamalo in Appelmansstraat (www.pocketresto.be/antwerpen/lamalo/map) are certainly open on Sundays.

I don't know that I would want to be hanging around in the station very late at night, but I don't think you will be in any danger walking to and from a hotel in the area.

Mentioned in this post
Hoffy's Restaurant and Catering
Hoffy's Restaurant and...
133 Reviews
Antwerp, Belgium
Antwerp
Antwerp
Antwerp Province, Belgium
Antwerp, Belgium
Level Contributor
3,998 posts
20 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: To stay near central station or not?

Hi, hope for you you don't have to come first from Utrecht to travel back to Schiphol...

The area around the Central Station is changed a lot since the renovation of the station a few years ago.

You could consider the Ibis Budget in the Lange Kievitstraat which is at the back entrance of the station.

Lot of places to eat in the area of the Keyserlei and side streets.

Mentioned in this post
Central Station
Central Station
6,731 Reviews
Antwerp, Belgium
Utrecht
Utrecht
Utrecht Province, The Netherlands
Schiphol
Schiphol
Europe
Level Contributor
6,074 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: To stay near central station or not?

@maenan: "Flying" KLM from Antwerpen is often a lot cheaper than from Amsterdam... :-)

Mentioned in this post
Amsterdam
Amsterdam
North Holland Province, The Netherlands
Utrecht
Level Contributor
188 posts
155 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: To stay near central station or not?

Thanks for your reply!

I was thinking of staying at the Ibis Budget. It's nice and cheap and the reviews are decent enough for one night.

Hoffy's looks like a place I would love to try. 3 minute walk from the hotel couldn't be easier.

@maenan taking the train from Utrecht to Antwerpen and then back to Schiphol saves us €700 each on the flight. So a bit of a hassle but well worth it.

Edited: 09 July 2014, 07:41
Mentioned in this post
Hoffy's Restaurant and Catering
Hoffy's Restaurant and...
133 Reviews
Antwerp, Belgium
Utrecht
Utrecht
Utrecht Province, The Netherlands
Schiphol
Schiphol
Lancashire, United...
Level Contributor
18,174 posts
76 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: To stay near central station or not?

I've stayed at the Ibis Budget by Central Station. I highly recommend it.

There is no need to exit the station onto Pelikaanstraat and walk along the street to get to the hotel. Just go to the exit at the far end of Central Station and turn left at the end and it is right there in a small area of new office buildings and apartments.

Mentioned in this post
Central Station
Central Station
6,731 Reviews
Antwerp, Belgium
6. Re: To stay near central station or not?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 22 July 2015, 05:15