We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Route From Belgium to the Monumnet/Museum in Waterloo

Escondido...
Level Contributor
143 posts
211 reviews
Save Topic
Route From Belgium to the Monumnet/Museum in Waterloo

I know the question has been posed in the past, but the last information was in 2008 and things like bus numbers, stations, etc, do change. I'll be in Brussels in April and on 4/15 I'd like to go to Waterloo to see the battlefields and museum. I thought I'd take a bus tour out there to make it easy, but I can't seem to find any running during the week.

Is there anyone who might be able to tell me the actual single train station name that I need to get to and if I then need a bus, which bus I take? I appreciate any help with this.

I have a great route planner site for The Netherlands, but I can't seem to find anything comparable for Belgium. I am using the route planner from http://www.b-rail.be but I have to know what station I'm going to and I don't. Thank you.

Escondido...
Level Contributor
143 posts
211 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Route From Belgium to the Monumnet/Museum in Waterloo

I just found my own answer on a different TA Board! SOrry for any duplicate requests!

I'm going to copy waht I found for anyone else looking:

It all depends on what you mean by Waterloo! If you just want to get to the town/station of that name, it does indeed take only about 20 minutes from Bruxelles-Midi, you can look up the timetable on reiseauskunft.bahn.de/bin/query.exe/en… .

However if you want to get to the battlefield, it is some way further on, at Mont St. Jean. The best way to get there is not by train but by bus, and these go to e.g. Braine l'Alleud, the main one is bus W and they all go from outside Gare du Midi, stop is in Avenue Fonsny outside the Ibis Hotel. A day ticket (carte d'une journée) is cheaper than a return and allows you to stop off in Waterloo itself if you want to (a good idea because the stop is right outside the church and tourist office, and across the road from the Wellington Museum). I believe you can get a special combined ticket at the tourist office covering various attractions, and a visit to the Museum is a good idea also, if only to canter through to the last part where they have representations of what was going on on the battlefield hour by hour, which makes it easier to understand the battle.

When continuing from Waterloo to Mont St. Jean you will know when you are there as you will see the lion mount from a distance, but it might be worth mentioning to the driver that you want to get off at Butte de Lion.

2. Re: Route From Belgium to the Monumnet/Museum in Waterloo

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 19 October 2009, 16:42