We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Brussels to Luxembourg

Western Australia...
Level Contributor
113 posts
2 reviews
Save Topic
Brussels to Luxembourg

Hi all

We are a family of three and planning to visit Brussels in this December.

We want to book a day trip to Luxembourg from Brussels. I have checked Viator, but they do not have any during December, the last tour is scheduled for end Oct 2017.

Could you please recommend a reliable tour agency/site to book a day trip to Luxembourg?

If not, what will be the best way to cover Luxembourg from Brussels as a day tour? Any suggestions? Train? Bus??

We do not want to visit outside the city limits but prefer visiting as many places in the city.

Thinking of travelling either on the 13th or 14th of Dec.

TIA

Mentioned in this post
Brussels
Brussels
Belgium
10 replies to this topic
Champlon, Belgium
Level Contributor
8,153 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Brussels to Luxembourg

Hourly train service from all the main Bruxelles stations to Luxembourg gare, which is within walking distance of the old city centre; the journey takes 3 plus hours each way. Fares are the same whether you book in advance or on the day.

All the main sights in Luxembourg city are in, or close to, the old city centre, although the Bock casements aren't open in winter, and, of course, it will get dark by 17.00. There are some small but pleasant Christmas markets.

By mid-December, there is an outside, but real, possibility that your trip would be disrupted by adverse weather conditions.

Mentioned in this post
Luxembourg City
Luxembourg City
Luxembourg District, Luxembourg
Brussels, Belgium
Level Contributor
36,903 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Brussels to Luxembourg

There aren't any organised tours from Brussels in the winter, so the train is your only option.

While there are buses between Brussels and Luxembourg that take about 3 hrs, none of them are possible for a day trip because daily departures are in the evening, i.e. Regiojet at 18:30 arr. 21:30 hrs (this being an overnight service to Prague) and Flixbus at 21:30 arr. 00:30 hrs.

Mentioned in this post
Brussels
Brussels
Belgium
Regiojet
Regiojet
243 Reviews
Prague, Czech Republic
Prague
Prague
Bohemia, Czech Republic
East Worldham...
Level Contributor
381 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Brussels to Luxembourg

To be perfectly blunt I think a 6 hour trip to Luxembourg is 6 hours of your life you would wish you hadn't lost. There are much more interesting places to visit (in Belgium). Not knowing why you picked Luxembourg of course...

Mentioned in this post
Western Australia...
Level Contributor
113 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Brussels to Luxembourg

Thanks a lot for the information. Really appreciate!

Marmotte, we want to visit Luxembourg while in that area as we won't get another chance to visit that country again. We will be in Belgium for another 4 days so hopefully be able to cover some interesting places then :)

Mentioned in this post
Moscow, Russia
Level Contributor
2,945 posts
231 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Brussels to Luxembourg

I took the train to Luxembourg from Brussels and back, but that was in May - more daylight;

and I stayed in Belgium for 10 days.

Mentioned in this post
Brussels
Brussels
Belgium
Belgium
Belgium
Europe
Akron, Ohio
Level Contributor
1,363 posts
495 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Brussels to Luxembourg

Early sun set and darkness will limit your stay in Luxembourg City for December. Likewise for Belgium too. I do agree that Belgium might have more to visit at this time of year. Brussels does have a new museum now. I stayed in Luxembourg City for two or three days and I did find enough to visit. Coffee flavored ice-cream was wonderful there. I was in Brussels for two-three days. My travel plans then were in a different category for vacation. I was in both places but it was summer time with much more daylight. Luxembourg City is not be denied but it was the country side or hinterland that attracted me as much as the city. Again I was there in summer months. Important things for me to see then in the city included the old ramparts or fortifications. Small museum and the like were there. I will not say it will be six hours wasted for travel time. But within the circle from Brussels there are more valuable things to see and require less time on the train. Ghent and Bruges for one. French border lands do contain fascinating small towns. Battlefield of Malplaquet did indeed interest me in the Bavay region. Much history of both countries - France and Belgium - can be explored near Brussels. There is a book called "Walking tour of battle fields in Belgium". I suggest that you look at it if those topics do interest you. Have you seen Flanders fields? I do say that to pass up Luxembourg including the city is a mistake. But the country deserves more than two or three days after you see the city and stay there for two days. The museum dedicated to the Luxembourg Resistance fighters from WW II is in Esche-sur-L'Azlette in the southern part of the country near the French border. I hope that these ideas do help.

Mentioned in this post
Luxembourg City
Luxembourg City
Luxembourg District, Luxembourg
Belgium
Belgium
Europe
Brussels
Brussels
Belgium
Ghent
Ghent
East Flanders Province, Belgium
Bruges
Bruges
West Flanders Province, Belgium
France
France
Europe
Moscow, Russia
Level Contributor
2,945 posts
231 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Brussels to Luxembourg

"Coffee flavored ice-cream was wonderful there"

- Local beer, too - the Presscafe right opposite the palace, very colourful crowd there :)))

Hope to have time and write a review over the week-end

Western Australia...
Level Contributor
113 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Brussels to Luxembourg

Thank you all :) Yup ice-cream & beer for sure :)

Wales, United...
Destination Expert
for Bargain Travel, Cruises, Swansea, Cardiff, Carmarthenshire, Neath, Port Talbot
Level Contributor
67,831 posts
460 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Brussels to Luxembourg

If you want to go to Luxembourg, then you should go. I'v eneve rbeen there, so I can't comment on whethe rit's worth it from a personal perspective. I've always found Belgium interesting. I've never felt any urge to go to Luxembourg from ther,e but we are all different.

Mentioned in this post
Moscow, Russia
Level Contributor
2,945 posts
231 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Brussels to Luxembourg

By the way, I would take a train if I hadn't booked a Bla-Bla-car much cheaper :))

However, as far as I remember, buying return train tickets in Brussels makes it cheaper than paying separately each way

Mentioned in this post
Brussels
Brussels
Belgium
Reply to: Brussels to Luxembourg
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted