We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

What to do in Brussels

Newcastle
Destination Expert
for Malta, Island of Malta
Level Contributor
3,156 posts
7 reviews
Save Topic
What to do in Brussels

Hi

My friends and I are thinking of visiting Brussels for 3 days in March of next year. I know nothing of this city except that the main city square is called the Grand Place, there is the Manneqin Pis to see and lovely Belgian chocolates. What are the must sees and must dos? Is there enough to keep us busy for 3 days or would you suggest a day trip somewhere on one of our days there. Any advice would be greatly appreciated. Thanks

Sacramento...
Level Contributor
393 posts
66 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: What to do in Brussels

Brussels is a city that keeps unfolding itself to you the longer you spend there. Three days is a challenge because it is not enough time to have it unfold but too much time for the overview of the tourist attractions. First, take the bus tour outside of Central Station for a good overview of the main sites. When you finish you must walk down to the Grand Place (5 minutes from the station) , then uphill to the Grand Sablon. For the best chocolates stop at Pierre Marcolini on the Grand Sablon. For bargain (but very tasty chocolates) buy them at one of the many Leonidas shoppes. There is a Leonidas just off the Grand Place.

You could take the short walk from the Grand Place to the Mannekin Pis but I never could understand what the big deal is. It is a small bronze statue of a pissing boy which is supposed to be outfitted in different clothes but is always unclothed when I have brought tourists there.

Up by the Grand Sablon you will find the Royal Museum of Art which and the Musical Instrument Museum (both quite good.)

All this should take a day and a half at most.

Take one day on the train to Brugges. It is a beautiful city preserved in the Medieval style when it was one of the most important cities in Europe. If the weather is good you should take the canal tour offered there. You can walk that city in a day.

Newcastle
Destination Expert
for Malta, Island of Malta
Level Contributor
3,156 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: What to do in Brussels

Thanks for your very speedy reply. You confirmed what I was beginning to think, that we should take a day trip out of Brussels, Bruges sounds good to me.

brussels
Destination Expert
for Brussels
Level Contributor
1,102 posts
43 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: What to do in Brussels

I don't really agree with iofa

there are very few must see sites in brussels but if your interests are gastronomy and you have a passing interest in beer culture together with a little shopping and some clubbing, three days in brussels is about right.

Personally i would go to leuven for a short trip rather than bruges if you have three days you don't really want to waste time travelling and brugge deserves a couple of days on its own.

Dublin, Ireland
Level Contributor
27 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: What to do in Brussels

I agree with brusselsboy, there is loads to do around town in Brussels, depending on what interests you... I always enjoy the Comic Strip Museum, 20 Rue des Sables, housed in a beautiful building designed by Victor Horta. You can also visit the Horta House, http://www.hortamuseum.be/ which is a lovely place. OK, the Mannequin Pis is just a little boy taking a leak, but the YANNICKA PIS is a sight to behold - situated just off the Rue de Bouchers, its the feminist equivalant to the little boy pissing! Its also just a few minutes walk from the Morte Subite bar which is a great place to take in a beer and watch the locals. There's a great flea market near the Palais du Justice which takes place everyday. Good local bars can be found around Place Jery, just opposite the Bourse, my favourites include The Bizon - down and dirty blues bar - and Le Coq.

All that may not be enough to keep you busy for three days, Leuvan, Brugge, Gent and Antwerp are lovely places for a day trip but even just walking around Brussels for a few days you'll see plenty of great sights that you just wouldn't see anywhere else

My best bit of advice for you is, after a good night enjoying all the lovely beer in Brussels, do not eat in Pitta Street off the Grand Place. Pitta Street isn't the proper name of the road, but you'll recognise it immediately from all the pitta & kebab shops that are open all night - don't eat there!

Dublin, Ireland
Level Contributor
27 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: What to do in Brussels

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jeanneke_Pis

6. Re: What to do in Brussels

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 10 September 2009, 10:18