We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Thalys train tickets

Atlanta, Georgia
Level Contributor
184 posts
1 review
Save Topic
Thalys train tickets

I'm planning on taking the high speed train from Brussels to Paris in the middle of June. A brief look at the web site seems to suggest that the cheap, round trip, advanced purchase fare is lower then the lowest one way fare. Is that correct? Is there any reason not to book the round trip fare and just waste the return ticket?

brussels
Destination Expert
for Brussels
Level Contributor
1,103 posts
43 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Thalys train tickets

yes that is right if you can get the smilys fare. thete are limited places so the earlier you book the better.

the ticket is not flexible and not exchangable so you get a good price. all other tickets are flexible to some degree.

there is no downside to not using the return part of your ticket

Atlanta, Georgia
Level Contributor
184 posts
1 review
Save Reply
2. Re: Thalys train tickets

Thanks for the info. I've booked the Smilys fare round trip as it seemed to be cheaper then the one way fares.

I booked through Thalys.com which went ok (would not take one credit card, took the other one). The travel agent had tried to book the same train through RailEurope without any success. All of the times were different and it seemed to end at CDG not at Paris-Nord. Strange.

brussels
Destination Expert
for Brussels
Level Contributor
1,103 posts
43 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Thalys train tickets

i ususally find it easier to call the ticket office at gare du midi direct.

it is a nice train and a very smooth journey. bon voyage