We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Where to spend 3 hours waiting for Eurostar?

Which Brussels hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Gdansk, Poland
Level Contributor
306 posts
3 reviews
Save Topic
Where to spend 3 hours waiting for Eurostar?

Hallo, this is my second post in the Brussels forum. I hope my question has not been asked a hundred times before - at least the search engine did not show any results.

I am arriving in Brussels on a weekday at 9.40 and going on to London by Eurostar at 12.58. I am going to be tired and in need of refreshment. Where can I spend the 3 hours?

Is there any nice and not-too-expensive restaurant in the neighbourhood open that early where they won't frown at my jeans&T-shirt?

I'd be thankful for any suggestions.

brussels
Destination Expert
for Brussels
Level Contributor
1,085 posts
30 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Where to spend 3 hours waiting for Eurostar?

go up towords the port de halle, you can take a metro or tram, 1 stop, try "the brueghel",or go a little way down rue blaes and try the "skieven architekt"

A nice bar is laboureurs. it does reasonable food and very good lambic doux

nobody will ever frown at jeans and t shirt.

brussels
Destination Expert
for Brussels
Level Contributor
1,085 posts
30 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Where to spend 3 hours waiting for Eurostar?

go up towords the port de halle, you can take a metro or tram, 1 stop, try "the brueghel",or go a little way down rue blaes and try the "skieven architekt"

A nice bar is laboureurs. it does reasonable food and very good lambic doux

nobody will ever frown at jeans and t shirt.

Belgium
Level Contributor
124 posts
1 review
Save Reply
3. Re: Where to spend 3 hours waiting for Eurostar?

firstly, there is an check-in procedure for eurostar so you'll you'll have to be there in time (30min apparently). That leaves you with very little time to see anything.

The Grand Place is not very far though and can easily be easily done in that timeframe. Just hop on train that goes to the Central station (5min from Eurostarstation) and from there it's a 10 min walk. Or hop on a tram that goes to "la bourse", reckon for 10 min to get to the Grand place.

There are different eateries inside the trainstation itself, from Coffee to healthy to fastfood. If you feel like eating outside take the exit near the Eurostar terminal and enjoy the sun on the square adjacent to the trainstation. I do that reguraly as I work in the building next to the square. The neighboorhood isn't very nice, plenty of greek and spanish restos but too early in the morning I guess.

Gdansk, Poland
Level Contributor
306 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Where to spend 3 hours waiting for Eurostar?

Thank you so much for your suggestions.

I think I will not be fit enough to actually go and see anything, having spent the whole night on the train. I just want to have a cup of tea and scones and pass the time until 1pm. without falling asleep ;-)

I think I will pass the time in the square Thaezaer suggested and pop into "skieven architekt" on my way back home (the name is cool, does it mean "sky architect"?

Cheers, Madge

Brighton, United...
Destination Expert
for Brighton
Level Contributor
4,425 posts
76 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Where to spend 3 hours waiting for Eurostar?

Jeans and T shirt? whats the problem!!?? anything goes in Brussels!

Having travelled back from a week long stay in Brussels via Eurostar last Friday, I would advise you not to hang around the Station "Midi". Firstly, (and I don���t know which day you are travelling) it is not a nice part of the city and there are many "street" people and "gangs" hanging around (people from north Africa ��� Moroccan or Algerian types - not safe).

Secondly there is huge (food) market right outside the station on Sunday mornings, and probably not the best place to be wandering around with bags and wallets on show!.

To be on the safe side give yourself a min of 45 for the check-in process, which is very similar to what you would experience at an airport check-in.

My advice would be to take a taxi to the Grand Place and have a nice coffee, some breakfast and waffles, have wander around and see the sites, but give yourself good time to get a taxi back to Midi (its only a 10 min ride) but beware of traffic congestion, which is very bad at the best of times!.

Have fun, you���ll enjoy.

brussels
Destination Expert
for Brussels
Level Contributor
1,085 posts
30 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Where to spend 3 hours waiting for Eurostar?

Skieven Architect

The name of the pub points to the architect who built the Justice Palace for King Leopold II in the late 19th century. The huge bombast building dominates above the Marollen(the area aof zuid station). This man was hated by those living here, as many homes were demolished to be able to build the Palace.

The architect was also limped, thus he was walking slant, which is "scheef" in Dutch, or "skief" in the Flemish dialect of Brussels. Today, the expression "skieven Architect" is used to identify a man of visible standing, that is a crook underneath.

Rue blaes is full of antique and bric-a-brac shops and is fun to walk down.

London, UK
Level Contributor
547 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Where to spend 3 hours waiting for Eurostar?

If you have luggage then deposit it in a locker. It is right beside the Eurostar check in. From memory it was about 3 EUR.

Agree the surrounding streets are not the best place to hang around. You probably have just enough time to hop on a train one stop or in a taxi). If you are really exhausted then there are some cafes/ fast food places in the station. Once you go through Eurostar check-in there is a small coffee bar area. The Eurostar waiting area is a bit boring though.

Gdansk, Poland
Level Contributor
306 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Where to spend 3 hours waiting for Eurostar?

Thanks to all!

An update: my train arrived in Brussels three HOURS late and I had only time to RUN to the Eurostar terminal and board the train virtually the last minute.

I hope I can walk around Brussels and visit the Skieven Architect on my way home. Thanks for the linguistic explanation, brusselsboy - it is nice to know the extra details.

Madge, currently in London.