We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Guide Books

NYC
Level Contributor
8 posts
1 review
Save Topic
Guide Books

Trying to figure out if a guide book is needed for the 4 days I will be in Brussels in late December. There is a good deal of information online but a guide book is generally a safe bet for the sake of convenience. Have not used a guide book in a while and am not currently loyal to any specific brand....Anyone have an opinion on which books are best? Not a fan of Fodors or Frommers. Leaning towards Knopf City Guide or Eyewitness Guide to Brussels & Bruges, Antwerp & Ghent.Any comments would be appreciated....Thanks!!

Mentioned in this post
Brussels
Brussels
Belgium
Bruges
Bruges
West Flanders Province, Belgium
Antwerp
Antwerp
Antwerp Province, Belgium
Ghent
Ghent
East Flanders Province, Belgium
Ottawa, ON
Level Contributor
928 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Guide Books

I used the Eyewitness guide you mentioned for the three days I spent in Brussels, Brugge and Antwerp back in October. I found it useful, more so for planning in advance than on-site. But it was small enough to carry, so I did. The fold-out maps on the front and back covers were particularly helpful.

Mentioned in this post
Brussels
Brussels
Belgium
Antwerp
Antwerp
Antwerp Province, Belgium
Fairfax, Virginia
Level Contributor
28 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Guide Books

Rick Steves Guide to Brussels and Brugge is good as are all his guides.

Mentioned in this post
Brussels
Brussels
Belgium
USA
Level Contributor
4 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Guide Books

I second the vote for Rick Steves' books. I'm sitting here right now with three of them.

Alexandria, Virginia
Level Contributor
467 posts
238 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Guide Books

Im a lonely planet guide book fan myself, they always come with useful maps :)

Baltimore, MD
Level Contributor
18 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Guide Books

I've done a little research, and Rough Guides seem to get very good reviews. Having backpacked in Europe one summer, and lived in Vienna for a semester, I can vouch for the usefulness of a guidebook in your hand. Traveling always throws a wrench in your plans :) and a guide book is a comforting bit of help whenever that happens.

Mentioned in this post
Europe
Europe
World
Vienna
Vienna
Vienna Region, Austria