We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

7 days in Brussels

england
2 posts
1 review
Save Topic
7 days in Brussels

we have found a great deal inc eurostar and 3* hotel for Brussels in July. Just wondered if there is enough touristy things to occupy a week or would it be better to split it and do half Brussels and half Bruges???

Many thanks

Ghent, Belgium
Level Contributor
2,559 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: 7 days in Brussels

7 days for Brussels is way too much, and Brugge can be done in 2 days tops.

Add a day or 2 of Gent or Antwerp to the mix.

Probably best Gent since then you are already halfway to Brugge on the train.

Hamburg, Germany
Level Contributor
1 post
3 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: 7 days in Brussels

I'm gonna spend 7 days in July in Belgium and I'm dividing time like this:

3 days for Brussels (including museums othervise there just wouldn't be enough to do, but include friday or saturday night because the main square is spendid!)

1 day for Antwerp

1 day for Ghent

1 day for Brugges

and then maybe one day for Ostend which is by the sea.

I can advise the web site: http://www.belrail.be/E/index.php to find out train fares.

Alexandria, Virginia
Level Contributor
467 posts
238 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: 7 days in Brussels

7 days in Brussels is a stretch. I would do exactly as the previous post suggested. Brugge is a good day trip as is Antwerp and Ghent. You can take the train from Brussels to all of these cities and be back to your hotel in Brussels by evening (if youve already booked the full week).

:)

www.visitbelgium.be is a good site to check out

england
2 posts
1 review
Save Reply
4. Re: 7 days in Brussels

Thanks very much for all the advice. We will rethink the week.

Sacramento...
Level Contributor
393 posts
66 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: 7 days in Brussels

For Belgium I agree with the other posters though would add a few items.

If you can rent a car, think about 2-3 days in Brussels, 1 day in Brugge, 1 day in Gent, 1 day in Dinant and Maredsous at the Abbey (great forest there, beautiful surroundings), 1 day in Antwerp. Belgium is a small country and you can get to all of these places within 2 hours so you don't have to change hotels each night. Except for Dinant/Maredsous you could visit all the other locations easily via the train system here too.

In Brussels besides the Grand Place you should visit the Sablon, The Beaux Arts Museum, The Musical Instrument Museum (sounds boring but it is really interesting, trust me on this.) The Victor Horta House is quite interesting, the Lace museum is good too. You can book a half day tour to visit many of the art deco or art noveau buildings and it is quite good. The Africa museum is also good. In Antwerp you will find some really great small restaurants, a good zoo and the Peter Paul Rubens home which is one of only a few survivng residences of the master painters.

Belgium is a country of many small discoverys and it takes a while to appreciate it, but it is worth the time.

Haifa, Israel
Level Contributor
7 posts
51 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: 7 days in Brussels

In addition to all the wonderfull advice already posted I would like to recomend a few places:

In Brussels you may like the Comics museun (Centre Belge de la Bande Designe) situated in a building designed by Victor Horta which was previously a department store.

Also - the Parc de Cinqantenaire, houses three museums among which the two more impresive are Autoworld and the Military museum.

The main attraction in Ghent is the "Sacred Lamb" in the Baafskatedral but otherwise Brugge is much more attractive.

In Antwerp you might want to visit the Plantin-Moretus museum which is one of the first print houses and considered a very important one at it's time.

You will soon find that a week in Belgium is not enough and might find yourself wanting to return, at any rate don't forget to pack something you can use when it rains since rain is very common and often in Belgium.

Don't forget to try the Goufre sold on the streets (especialy on the Rue Neuve) and have some fish with the wonderfull Pomme Fritte ("french" fries).

Irish in Belgium
Level Contributor
10 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: 7 days in Brussels

Hi there, agree with all that has gone bfore, but remember you are mot limited to Belgium, Maastricht NL on the Nth Eastern Border with Hollan is a lovely town for a day visit, with plenty to see and do, when there you are only two hours from Amsterdam, Cologne and Dusseldorf. Luxembourg is a 3 hr train ride form Gare Centrale in Brussels and is a very picturesque ride! and is beautiful in the Summer. However Brugges and Brussels have plenty to offer, a nice area in Brussels is by Schuman and the european institutes where there are some nice Irish and English bars and some nice retaurants, this area is 5 mins from the aforementioned Parc du Cinquantanaire. In Bruges , definitely recomment a boat ride on the canals! Enjoy!