We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Reservation on Eurorail pass

Which Brussels hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
India
5 posts
1 review
Save Topic
Reservation on Eurorail pass

We just purchased a 5-day Eurorail pass for travel between Amsterdam, Brussels and Luxembourg.

Do we need to make reservations in advance ? We plan to travel only during the day...and two of our five days are on weekends.

Brussels, Belgium
Level Contributor
31,204 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Reservation on Eurorail pass

You cannot reserve seats on InterCity trains within Belgium anyway. You would have had to reserve seats on Thalys, if you were taking this between Amsterdam and Brussels - but this is by no means necessary or in any way advantageous, high-speed track is not yet in use on that route; so take InterCity and then you don't need to reserve, which would also require payment of a supplement. So, no you don't need to make reservations in advance.

I have to say I doubt that there is an advantage in having bought a pass either, unless you are under 26 (apart from the advantage of having paid for all your transport in advance, of course). It sounds as though you are merely travelling point-to-point and not extensively within each country.

India
5 posts
1 review
Save Reply
2. Re: Reservation on Eurorail pass

thanks for your response....we were planning on taking the Thalys between Amsterdam and Brussels - so are you saying that there is no train presently. The eurorail website does show trains running. Please advise.

Thanks,

Kashyap

Mannheim, Germany
Destination Expert
for Zurich, Mannheim
Level Contributor
13,707 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Reservation on Eurorail pass

>so are you saying that there is no train presently.

No, qaminari doesn´t. What s/he says is that there is no high-speed track yet between Brussels and Amsterdam yet. So why would one take Thalys when you can take an IC taking almost the same time, and where you don´t need to bother with reservations.

> The eurorail website does show trains running.

The eurorail website is not the best site to see the train schedules anyway. Go to the twebsites of the train companies directly (for example www.b-rail.be)

And why one would buy an Eurail pass just to go to Brussels, Amsterdam and Luxembourg is beyond me anyway.

India
5 posts
1 review
Save Reply
4. Re: Reservation on Eurorail pass

I found out that the Thalys does run....between the points we want to cover. the reason for the eurorail pass was that we'll be making multiple trips (some one way - some round trip) between cities in this region. Individual tickets seems to be costing a lot more for our overall plan than the eurorail ticket.

thanks for your response.

Sunshine Coast...
Level Contributor
179 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Reservation on Eurorail pass

Hi Everyone, I have found these postings most helpful. I have a question for altarmiro regarding rail passes. I was of the belief a rail pass was necessary to travel between countries in europe. Your opinion please we have a few train journeys in mind the rest are by flights. Rome to Naples then Venice to Geneva and Brussels to Paris. Would i need a pass or pre purchase tickets or reservation? We had intended on Ist class.

Thank you

Mannheim, Germany
Destination Expert
for Zurich, Mannheim
Level Contributor
13,707 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Reservation on Eurorail pass

>I was of the belief a rail pass was necessary to travel between countries in europe.

A rail pass is a fixed price global ticket. It´s like - you can rent a car or you cna buy it. Nobody cares whether you drive from A to B in arental or own car. It´s just a financial consideration (what´s cheaper?). Do you think everybody who makes a trip over the border buys asuper expensive railpass?

>Your opinion please we have a few train journeys in mind the rest are by flights. Rome to Naples then Venice to Geneva and Brussels to Paris.

Especially on the last trip, the pricing on Thalys is like plane ticket; the earlier you book, the cheaper it is. But also for Venice-Geneva trip you can get cheap advance specials if bought well in advance.

Look up the prices at

www.trenitalia.com

www.cisalpino.ch

www.thalys.com

On the latter, leave the country as France and print the tickets.

Mannheim, Germany
Destination Expert
for Zurich, Mannheim
Level Contributor
13,707 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Reservation on Eurorail pass

P.S. For the Geneva to Paris leg a train will be probably the better deal than flying.

Sunshine Coast...
Level Contributor
179 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Reservation on Eurorail pass

Thank you so very much, you have been so helpful

cheers

Narelle

9. Re: Reservation on Eurorail pass

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 27 September 2009, 19:22