We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Car Rental

Clevleand
12 posts
Save Topic
Car Rental

Hi all, I was planning on a trip from Brussels to luxembourg, luxembourg to paris. I was wondering if someone suggest how i can get a rental car in Belgium and drop in paris. Also can i use my american driving license to drive in Europe?.

Thanks

Jay

Mentioned in this post
Brussels
Brussels
Belgium
Belgium
Belgium
Europe
Europe
Europe
World
Ghent, Belgium
Level Contributor
2,568 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Car Rental

If you are here as a tourist you can indeed use your American license.

brussels
Destination Expert
for Brussels
Level Contributor
1,107 posts
44 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Car Rental

csr rental is pretty much the same as anywhere else, do the normal shp around because you intend one way journeys you may have to stick to the bigger chains which will be more expensive.

Luxembourg
Level Contributor
5,771 posts
30 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Car Rental

Check with the various rent-a-car companies if they would have a french drop-off car available. Europcar at the airport would be a good source. I have done this on two occasions and saved on the extra drop-off charge.

Alternatively there are excellent train connections between Brussels and Luxembourg 2:47 hrs and Luxembourg to Paris 2:05 hrs. The entire journey would beat road travel in terms of speed.

Mentioned in this post
Brussels
Brussels
Belgium
Paris
Paris
Ile-de-France, France
Clevleand
12 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Car Rental

Hi HikerLuxembourg, Thanks for your reply. I heard travelling in car is better, since we can stop anywhere and the drive is scenic? can you please confirm? when i called europcar they said there is a fee for one way drop off at paris? do you think if i drop at the airport i dont have to pay the fee?

Thanks

Jay

Luxembourg
Level Contributor
5,771 posts
30 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Car Rental

Yes the drive would be more flexible, however the direct routes via the highway would not be that scenic.

You said you checked with Europcar Brussels airport ? Best is to go there when you are in Belgium, you would have to make that specific request while you are there. If there is no french drop-off car then yes would have to pay the charge and some lucky guy in Paris picks it up and drives it back. Would you get a refund I doubt it.

Mentioned in this post
Belgium
Belgium
Europe
Paris
Paris
Ile-de-France, France
Clevleand
12 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: Car Rental

HikerLuxembourg, Thanks for the information.

Jay

7. Re: Car Rental

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 30 September 2009, 11:17