We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Brussels beer cafes/ pubs. Any off the beaten track?

Munich, Germany
Level Contributor
3,565 posts
19 reviews
Save Topic
Brussels beer cafes/ pubs. Any off the beaten track?

Apart from the obvious such as delerium etc can anyone recommend any beer cafes that are a little off the mass tourism radar? I am not interested in a 2000 beer menu... just a local cafe/pub that stocks some nice trappist etc beers without being surrounded by american college kids...

London
Level Contributor
141 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Brussels beer cafes/ pubs. Any off the beaten track?

You could try Porte Noire - it's a couple of blocks up the hill from the Manneken-Pis in Rue des Alexiens.

http://www.laportenoire.be/

There's a couple of places on Place Jeu de Balle which aren't bad - Skieven Architek and Brocante. Oh and there's the Greenwich in Rue de Chartreux - a very old fashioned cafe full of old guys playing chess - very bohemian, albeit quiet!

http://www.brusselspictures.com/page/13/

About 5 minutes walk from Midi Station is Cafe Verschueren on Parvis St-Gilles which is a lovely old fashioned Art Deco cafe with a real mixed local clientele. And a further 10 mins up the hill is Chez Moeder Lambic.

Birmingham, England
Level Contributor
171 posts
30 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Brussels beer cafes/ pubs. Any off the beaten track?

I second both of ReuzeEmma's suggestions - Porte Noir is my favourite bar in Belgium!

Munich, Germany
Level Contributor
3,565 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Brussels beer cafes/ pubs. Any off the beaten track?

hello... any other suggestions out there?

brussels
Destination Expert
for Brussels
Level Contributor
1,103 posts
43 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Brussels beer cafes/ pubs. Any off the beaten track?

skieven arkitekt at Jeu de balle.

Aux laboureurs near gare du midi

Poechenellekelder near mannekin pis

Chez moeder lambic in rue de la Savoie

mort subite if you avoid the more exotic fruit beers.

all are failry easily accesible

Brussels, Belgium
Level Contributor
32,656 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Brussels beer cafes/ pubs. Any off the beaten track?

As ReuzeEmma said, St. Gilles is off the normal tourist track, see beeradvocate.com/beer/profile/1227/…

Beermania (www.beermania.be) is a great place and well away from any tourist haunts, but just one minute's walk from the Parnasse stop of the 95 bus from e.g. Bourse; however it's a shop as well as a café so not open all that late in the evening.

ON the tourist track but not particularly well-known is the tiny atmospheric café of the Toone puppet theatre, on petite rue des Bouchers.

I'm not at all sure you are all that likely to be surrounded by American college kids at any Brussels beer café, the one most likely to attract them (if they can find it; it's in Impasse de la Fidélité, a tiny alleyway off rue des Bouchers near the junction with rue Grétry!) is Delirium because it has a menu of over 2000 beers - not all Belgian obviously.

London
Level Contributor
141 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: Brussels beer cafes/ pubs. Any off the beaten track?

Brusselsboy - I thought the Laboureur had closed down a couple of years back. Has it reopened?

London, United...
Level Contributor
1,412 posts
32 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Brussels beer cafes/ pubs. Any off the beaten track?

The Labourer was still closed in December when we checked it out. A shame really as we never actually made it in there and it was so handy for Eurostar.

Piglet

Munich, Germany
Level Contributor
3,565 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Brussels beer cafes/ pubs. Any off the beaten track?

surely there must be many more local recommendations? i'm thirsty... :)

Irving, Texas
Level Contributor
262 posts
21 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Brussels beer cafes/ pubs. Any off the beaten track?

What's wrong with American college kids? They can't be more obnoxious than any other college kids, can they?

Munich, Germany
Level Contributor
3,565 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Brussels beer cafes/ pubs. Any off the beaten track?

no other college kids in the world can say 'i'm delta delta delta, can i help ya help ya help ya' with a straight face... so no... US college kids cant be beat...