We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Help! I'm in Brussels and just had a bad dinner.....

Tampa
Level Contributor
79 posts
2 reviews
Save Topic
Help! I'm in Brussels and just had a bad dinner.....

I am sorry that I did not research this before I left, but we had a bad restaurant experience tonight and are in need of any quick advice for dinner near the grand place, we only have 2 days left, something that is good food and fair priced for a family of 4. I will post the details soon, thanks for any advice and help from you trip advisors!

Brussels, Belgium
Level Contributor
33,497 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Help! I'm in Brussels and just had a bad dinner.....

You have seen tripadvisor.com/… Not that other people's opinions are necessarily a good guide.

You could try La Taverne du Passage in Galeries St. Hubert, L'Ogenblik in nearby Galerie des Princes, Aux Armes de Bruxelles on the corner of rue du Marché aux Fromages ("pitta street") and rue des Chapeliers (a block up from the Amigo hotel), or for bistrot-type food, e.g. omelette and fries, the Drug Opéra in rue des Fripiers (street between the back of the Bourse and Place de la Monnaie) - actual address is 51 rue Grétry, it's on a corner. For pizzas, you have La Mirante at 13 Plattesteen, near the Midi-Lombard junction - but it's tiny, you'll need to go early (that is, well before 20.00 hrs) to get a table for 4.

Or, get out of the GP area: take the metro line 1/5 direction Stockel/Hermann Debroux (it doesn't matter which) 6 stops (from De Brouckère) to Mérode, exit the metro station on the right and you will find yourself outside La Terrasse, with the brasserie Carpe Diem across the street, on the corner of Avenue de Tervueren and Avenue des Celtes (the street going downhill). This is a typical local brasserie with Belgian specialities and prices lower than in the centre; if you like Greek food (not the traditional moussaka etc.), I also highly recommend the Ellinikon in Avenue des Celtes.

Bon appétit!

Amsterdam, The...
Destination Expert
for Amsterdam
Level Contributor
40,038 posts
79 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Help! I'm in Brussels and just had a bad dinner.....

Hey I think I've eaten in La Terrace qaminari. It was really good as far as I remember. Nice part of town also.

Bolton, Greater...
Level Contributor
35 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Help! I'm in Brussels and just had a bad dinner.....

Just arrived back from Brussels. Try the food street near the Delerium. Had a couple of really nice meals up there and very reasonable prices. They have set menus for around 12 to 25 euros per person.

Brussels, Belgium
Level Contributor
33,497 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Help! I'm in Brussels and just had a bad dinner.....

The food street near Delirium is the rue des Bouchers, which is precisely where I would advise you NOT to eat! Not that you are likely to be poisoned but you could well be cheated, the area is notorious for it.

Bolton, Greater...
Level Contributor
35 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Help! I'm in Brussels and just had a bad dinner.....

Hi qaminari, i had a couple of nice meals on that street for reasonable prices and everyone seemed very friendly and the food was really good. Anyway what i wanted to ask you was, when we were sat in a restuarant down that street, the restuarant opposite got raided by what looked like plain clothed policeman. Anyway they took away the person who stands outside trying to get the people to go into the restuarant. Do you know what might have happened???

Stanley, Falkland...
Level Contributor
32,980 posts
75 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Help! I'm in Brussels and just had a bad dinner.....

my guess would be illegal migrant.

I don't think you get many Belgians in that area, with one or two exceptions.

Brussels, Belgium
Level Contributor
33,497 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Help! I'm in Brussels and just had a bad dinner.....

Well I suppose it might have been an illegal immigrant but it is much more likely to be because it is in fact illegal for waiters to stand outside restaurants trying to drum up trade, and the authorities have been trying to crack down on this ("racolage") in the Ilôt Sacré in order to try to improve its image, which is DIRE. No local would ever eat there except at a few classic places (Chez Léon, Aux Armes de Bruxelles..), which do not have an outside display or waiters accosting passers-by - or, for that matter, a cover charge which is absolutely unheard-of outside that area. I cannot tell you how often I have heard of people having problems at these places, e.g. being served the wrong (always more expensive) wine or a large instead of a small portion, or mistakes with the bill (strangely, always in the restaurant's favour). They exploit the language barrier and bank on the fact that they will probably never see the tourists again so they don't care about repeat business. There are complaints on both TA and VT about the scams practised by restaurants (not so much bars) in that area, although I suppose that by the law of averages some people must strike lucky.

Brussels
Level Contributor
24 posts
50 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Help! I'm in Brussels and just had a bad dinner.....

none of the restaurants mentioned above are any good. If you have to eat near the Grand Place, which by the way is an extremely bad decision, let me recommend a superb place called "Fritkot". It is just outside the bourse near the 95 bus stop. I have had many a fine meal there and always at very good prices.

Stanley, Falkland...
Level Contributor
32,980 posts
75 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Help! I'm in Brussels and just had a bad dinner.....

Thanks for the explanation,gaminari. I do recall some restaurants had people outside them. Having been there before, it was fairly easy to ignore them but I noticed some were very persistent, which I put down to the empty tables making them more desperate.

Luxembourg
Level Contributor
5,548 posts
29 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Help! I'm in Brussels and just had a bad dinner.....

Chez Léon not good ? you can't be serious.