We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

What to do in Brussels for a full day?

Which Brussels hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
US
3 posts
Save Topic
What to do in Brussels for a full day?

HI..any recommendations on fun stuff to do for a day in Brussels..July 3. We will be at the Marriott hotel. No car so need walking things or city bus.

Also, can you recommend a fun resturant for dinner that is not to expensive but will give us good local food and wine.

Thanks to all replies.

Philadelphia Area
Level Contributor
2,143 posts
59 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: What to do in Brussels for a full day?

Go to the art museum, the churches, the main square, and the surrounding area.

New York, NY
Level Contributor
612 posts
23 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: What to do in Brussels for a full day?

I've spent a day and a half in Brussels, and I would recommend:

(1) Walk around the Grand Place. Beautiful architecture.

(2) Walk around the city and try to find the cartoon murals and odd statues around the town. The Mannekin Pis is the most famous (one of the museums has a set of his costumes), but there are plenty others not as famous and without throngs of tourists. There's a little girl peeing (tough to find), a dog with its leg lifted on a street corner, a rabbit riding a bicycle, etc. Finding some of this street art gives the city a bit of a whimsical nature. It will also give you an opportunity to just walk around the city.

(3) There's a cartoon museum, focusing on Tintin. Unfortunately, not much of this was in English when I was there, but it was still fun to walk around.

(4) Have a beer.

(5) Have a waffle from a street vendor.

(6) The trolley system is not bad for getting around the city ... not the speediest system, but it's efficient if you're on foot.

(7) There's a set of statues in a clock in the center of town.

(8) Enjoy the apparent bilingualism of the city, even though most people speak French.

Brussels isn't a "spectacular" European city that wows you with its splendor, but I thought it was entertaining for a day or so and fun to wander around.

Brussels, Belgium
Level Contributor
31,263 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: What to do in Brussels for a full day?

Re local food and wine: Belgium is not noted for its wine (this is beer country) but Belga Queen does offer it, this restaurant is in rue du Fossé aux Loups near Place de la Monnaie where the opera house is. Coming from the opera house side, from the pedestrian crossing between the square and the pedestrianized shopping street rue Neuve, look right and where you see the flags, that's Belga Queen (www.belgaqueen.be/).

paris
2 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: What to do in Brussels for a full day?

hi.. I found a great way to visit brussel for one day.

We went to brussel in march 2009 and the hotel adviced us "brusselalacarte"

We had a great journey

everything was included.(transport=car, dinner, drink,museum’s,guide,…)

visit the site www.brusselalacarte.com

have fun

5. Re: What to do in Brussels for a full day?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 21 December 2009, 05:18