We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Belgian cuisine restaurants in Brussels

Lisbon, Portugal
Level Contributor
654 posts
34 reviews
Save Topic
Belgian cuisine restaurants in Brussels

Hi there.

Which restaurants would you recommend - in Brussels - in order to have a fabulous Belgian cuisine experience?

Besides the famous "moules frites" which dishes should one also taste?

I'm mostly interested in typical Belgian food and I am looking for informal restaurants - but still with a touch of "class".

Thank you.

Edited: 12 January 2010, 16:33
Amsterdam, The...
Level Contributor
478 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Belgian cuisine restaurants in Brussels

Ok, I'm not really fully understanding your query. Fabulous but informal?

If you aren't interested in fine dining, but want real Belgian food I'd say Brasserie De La Roue D'or. http://www2.resto.be/rouedor/ This is typical Belgian food, huge portions, seafood, quality meat and game. Also serves Belgian brasserie (and some French) classics.

Or how about one of the beer restaurants?

In 't Spinnekopke being just fine.

http://www.spinnekopke.be/baseAN.html

There are many many quality restaurants in Brussels. Many Belgian, I'm sure others will offer more examples.

/

Lisbon, Portugal
Level Contributor
654 posts
34 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Belgian cuisine restaurants in Brussels

Hello.

Maybe I didn't express myself properly. Anyway, by "fabulous" I meant to say "good food". By informal I meant to say "have not to dress formally" as with a suit.

I'm gonna check those you mentioned.

Thanks.

Birmingham, England
Level Contributor
171 posts
29 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Belgian cuisine restaurants in Brussels

I'd recommend:

Restaurant de la Bourse - it's v. informal (more like I cafe, I normally go there for lunch/mid-afternoon meal) - but it is good value and has set menus with Belgian dishes like moules (v good moules, IMHO better than Leon restaurant which is famed for them). Also have rabit cooked in kriek with prunes, and other interesting dishes.

There are other seafood restaurants around the St Catherine area that may offer interesting dishes too, like Oostende grey shrimp crevettes.

I really like Vincent - it's not a touristy place but does great steak & Belgian cuisine, although it's right in the middle of the 'tourist' restaurant area (where they have lots of seafood displays in the street outside & waiters trying to persuade you to come in - I'd avoid those places, Vincent's staff don't hassle you to come in!)

Outside the centre, I've had a good meal in L'Ultime Atome - Belgian but also modern fusion cooking too.

Bonsoir Clara - upmarket & trendy but still informal, just south of the St Catherine area - modern Belgian cuisine - e.g. good roast duck in a kriek (cherry beer) sauce with braised witloof (chicory, a national vegetable!)

Dishes I'd look out for apart from moules would be:

- carbonade flammande - a beef-cooked-in-beer stew

- witloof - or chicons au gratin - chicory wrapped in ham and baked in a cheese sauce

- stoemp - mashed veg/potato - comes in many variations depending on what veg are to hand - often served with sausages or bacon

- soups - Belgians seem to love homemade soup and I have always had great soup when over there

- beer cuisine - dishes cooked with Belgian speciality beers in the sauce or casserole

Hope these suggestions help! I'm going to Brussels again in 3 weeks (about my 8th or 9th visit) and just writing this has made me hungry in anticipation!

Amsterdam, The...
Level Contributor
478 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Belgian cuisine restaurants in Brussels

Ok, this makes sense now ric.

How about the least formal place in Brussels, Noordzee.

http://www.vishandelnoordzee.be/fr/home.asp

Belgians adore fish. As well as any sea creature. Where better to sample than at a fish shop with a glass of white wine.

Edited: 12 January 2010, 22:05
brussels
Destination Expert
for Brussels
Level Contributor
1,107 posts
43 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Belgian cuisine restaurants in Brussels

belgaqueen is pretty good and a fairly unusual place. it has a seafood area a main restaurant and a cigar ba/ nightclub it is very central and is fun tio go to.

good selection of beers as well including unfiltered palm which i only saw at the brewery before.

London
Level Contributor
138 posts
72 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Belgian cuisine restaurants in Brussels

Which area would you recommend for good restaurants in Brussels (the kind of area which is unlikely to be a tourist trap and you can taste local and relatively cheap food)? St Catherine?

Brussels, Belgium
Level Contributor
33,549 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Belgian cuisine restaurants in Brussels

There isn't any one area. There is an area to avoid, by and large, which is the so-called Ilôt Sacré (rue des Bouchers, Petite rue des Bouchers, rue Grétry) but even here there are some classics like Chez Léon and Aux Armes de Bruxelles. There is certainly no one area for Belgian cuisine, it is all over the city (and indeed country)! Ste. Catherine, that is the area around the metro station of that name is known for fish and seafood restaurants, as it is the former fish market. But nearby RUE St. Catherine (where you will also find Mer du Nord, mentioned in previous post) is a mini Asia-town, with Chinese, Vietnamese etc. places. Also nearby, rue de Flandre is worth exploriing, but you will find cheap (Breton pancake place..) and trendy, more expensive places cheek-by-jowl, which is not unusual.

My favourite Belgian restaurant is probably La Taverne du Passage in the Galeries St. Hubert and a favourite Belgian dish at this time of year is chicons au gratin (chicory/endive wrapped in ham and served in a cheese sauce, accompanied by mashed potato); I like the one at a local brasserie outside the city centre, Carpe Diem at Mérode (near Cinquantenaire Museums).

Incidentally I recommend the rooftop café at the Musical Instrument Museum, but for the view - weather permitting - not the food, which is better at the nearby Beaux-Arts Museum (Musée d'Art Ancien)..

You might want to make room for a mid-afternoon waffle from the café above Dandoy on the street that goes from the Grand' Place to the Mannekin Pis, opposite the Amigo Hotel, most definitely the best in town.

UK
Level Contributor
2,891 posts
53 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Belgian cuisine restaurants in Brussels

I would also recommend La Taverne du Passage where, if I'm on my own , I always have their "waterzooie de volaille aux petits légumes" but if my husband is with me we order "la côte à l'os de boeuf min. 2 cvts" which is delicious but not a Belgian speciality.

Lisbon, Portugal
Level Contributor
654 posts
34 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Belgian cuisine restaurants in Brussels

Thank you for all of your suggestions. I've been a little busy during the past weeks from January until yesterday because of my college exams and as such unable to come here as often as I would like to. Thank god the winter semester is over... Now is time to get ready to fly to Belgium (though I'll have to wait for March 27, lol!). Anyway, I'll have more time now to plan my trip so I'm gonna analyse your suggestions as I always have to taste the traditional foods of every place I visit. Are there "frites" sellers in the streets?! I love fries with mayonnaise. Ah, is there a "best place" to eat waffles/gaufres?

Edited: 09 February 2010, 13:09
Brussels, Belgium
Level Contributor
33,549 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Belgian cuisine restaurants in Brussels

1) Frites sellers in the streets: there are vans/fritkots in various places, for example one next to the big church Notre Dame de la Chapelle down the hill from the Sablon; one in Pl. Flagey by the Ixelles ponds (Portuguese area btw), one in Pl. Dumon in Stockel, and the most famous one of all is Maison Antoine, now selling from a sort of concrete shack in the middle of in Place Jourdan, down the hill (follow rue Froissart from opposite the Berlaymont) from Schuman.

2) Waffles: As I already said - " You might want to make room for a mid-afternoon waffle from the café above Dandoy on the street that goes from the Grand' Place to the Mannekin Pis, opposite the Amigo Hotel, most definitely the best in town."