We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Brussels - Bruges (Next Week)

Gurugram (Gurgaon...
Level Contributor
38 posts
4 reviews
Save Topic
Brussels - Bruges (Next Week)

Hi,

Am travelling with my wife and little daughter from London to Brussels via the Eurostar.

We intend on arriving via the first shuttle and spending the day/night and leaving next morning by train for Bruges. We spend a major part of the day there and return to Brussels to depart via the Eurostar.

This is what i have roughly planned out:

Day 1

Arrive in Brussels

Head from Midi station to Hotel Queen Anne ( Please help with most economic way to the hotel)

Head out to Atomium & Mini Europe (Help for transportation)

Head back to hotel - Rest

Visit Grand Place and Manneken Pis

Anything else - Please advice

Dinner with friends in Brussels

Day 2

Early breakfast

Train to Bruges ( Will the Eurostar ticket work also any place at the station to store our luggage and cost if possible)

How does one tour Bruges best ???

Return to Brussels, pick up luggage and off to London

I deeply appreciate all your sincere advice and handy tips.

Looking forward and thanks again for assisting me.

Cheers,

Carson

Mentioned in this post
London
London
England, UK
Brussels
Brussels
Belgium
Hotel Queen Anne
Hotel Queen Anne
761 Reviews
Brussels, Belgium
Atomium
Atomium
12,028 Reviews
Brussels, Belgium
Mini-Europe
Mini-Europe
3,651 Reviews
Brussels, Belgium
Grand Place
Grand Place
28,378 Reviews
Brussels, Belgium
Manneken Pis
Manneken Pis
13,125 Reviews
Brussels, Belgium
Bruges
Bruges
West Flanders Province, Belgium
Brussels, Belgium
Level Contributor
36,040 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Brussels - Bruges (Next Week)

1) Q.A. Hotel is in Bd. Emile Jacquemain, closest metro station is Rogier which you can reach from Midi by underground tram for €1.70 each, at Midi follow signs to metro; or buy 10-trip card for use between the 3 of you.

2) From Rogier take metro to Simonis and change there onto line 6 direction Roi Baudouin, Atomium and Mini-Europe are at Heysel

3) Yes you can use your Eurostar ticket for travel to Bruges since you will have spent no more than 24 hrs in Brussels; and the same for your return since you will be merely connecting in Brussels for London.

4) There are lockers at the station in Bruges, no idea of cost - but it would be better to take them to Midi before continuing to Bruges and leave them in the lockers/manned left luggage facility there, to avoid humping them on the train to and from Bruges. Remember to come back to Bxl in time to pick them up and to check in for the Eurostar at least 30 mins before departure of your train.

Mentioned in this post
Atomium
Atomium
12,028 Reviews
Brussels, Belgium
Mini-Europe
Mini-Europe
3,651 Reviews
Brussels, Belgium
Brussels
Brussels
Belgium
London
London
England, UK
Bruges
Bruges
brussels
Destination Expert
for Brussels
Level Contributor
1,114 posts
44 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Brussels - Bruges (Next Week)

my only suggestion is to skip breakfast and get something at the station and check the opening time of the manned left luggage office if you are planning on a really early start.

Mini europe is ok and was fun for my kids at that age. but i dont think you want tospend a lot of time there. if you had the time, as well as the GP i would get to the musical instrument museum which was fun for my kids and a littlel time round sablon with time for chocolate shopping.

You should be awae that in the street next to emile jacqmain there are a fair amount of sex shops at the bottom end not a problem but you might not want to go up that way from rogier.

Mentioned in this post
Mini-Europe
Mini-Europe
3,651 Reviews
Brussels, Belgium
Gurugram (Gurgaon...
Level Contributor
38 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Brussels - Bruges (Next Week)

Dear Qaminari,

Does my daughter (20 months) need a ticket on the trams etc. I will buy the 10 trip card.

I think it makes perfect sense to drop my luggage at the Midi before departing for Bruges, is there a direct train from Midi to Bruges?

Any tips for Bruges?

Thanks for everything.

Carson

Mentioned in this post
Bruges
Bruges
Gurugram (Gurgaon...
Level Contributor
38 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Brussels - Bruges (Next Week)

Hi Brusselsboy,

Thanks much for these tips, will spend time at Sablon and Choco shopping.

Any tips for Bruges?

Cheers,

Carson

Brussels, Belgium
Level Contributor
36,040 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Brussels - Bruges (Next Week)

Children under 6 travel free on STIB buses, trams, metro.

Direct InterCity (IC) trains from Brussels Nord, Central and Midi (in that order) with final destination Oostende or Knokke/Blankenberge stop only at Ghent and Brugge on the way to the coast; there are at least 2 an hour.

For what to do in Brugge go to Brugge forum and click on "Things to Do" on left of page.

Mentioned in this post
Brussels
Brussels
Belgium
Blankenberge
Blankenberge
Ghent
Ghent
East Flanders Province, Belgium
6. Re: Brussels - Bruges (Next Week)

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 16 November 2010, 07:16