We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

which hotel in central brussels

london
Level Contributor
45 posts
Save Topic
which hotel in central brussels

i am going to brussels mid august with my elderly mother who is unable to walk too far. we want to book a really nice hotel probably 5 star. we only have one night and are travelling on eurostar. would like some recommendations please for somewher very central and what we can do for our 2 days

Dublin
Level Contributor
490 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: which hotel in central brussels

Hi royster,

The N.H Atlanta does great deals at weekends. Twice the price during the week. Great hotel which is located at the entrance/exit of an underground station. Lots of bars and restaurants right beside it and the main shopping street is behind the hotel, through a arch way beside the hotel. I have brought my elderly father who is also a bad walker to Brussels and stayed in this hotel. Like I said.. most things are beside you and the underground is right in front of the hotel for trip further afield. Enjoy your trip.

Regards,

Supervanman.

Brussels, Belgium
Level Contributor
32,686 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: which hotel in central brussels

"At the entrance/exit of an underground station" is a slight exaggeration, here is the map: http://maps.google.be/maps?hl=en&um=1&ie=UTF-8&q=nh+atlanta+hotel+brussels&fb=1&gl=be&hq=nh+atlanta+hotel&hnear=Brussels&cid=0,0,16507497803820606034&ei=PJUiTNq9CM6jOJ6ZuKgF&sa=X&oi=local_result&ct=image&resnum=4&ved=0CDMQnwIwAw

The closest entrance to/exit from De Brouckère metro station is the one next to/opposite the Metropole Hotel, which is next door (or next door-but-one) to the Atlanta: don't confuse this with the bus symbol on the other side of the Atlanta Hotel, for the stop "Martyrs". Not at all far for someone with no problems walking, but not as close as other hotels.

You don't actually say how you are arriving in Brussels, which may determine what is most convenient for you, but with someone who can't walk very far I would not recommend changing from train to metro at Gare centrale as there is quite a walk between the railway and metro parts of the station. The Méridien (starwoodhotels.com/lemeridien/…) is just across the road from the railway part - which you can reach on the airport train, or local train from Gare du Midi if coming on Thalys - 5 minutes' walk from the Grand' Place, and near the starting point for the hop-on, hop-off buses. If you would be taking a taxi to the hotel, it isn't necessary to be near a railway station, and in that case if you want to be near the metro, the closest hotels to metro stations in the centre would be the Méridien (Gare centrale), Métropole (De Brouckère) and Sheraton (Rogier), and there are several other hotels around Rogier.

If proximity to the Grand' Place is more important than proximity to public transport, the 5 star Amigo, behind the Hôtel de Ville (town hall), so one block from the Grand' Place, is supposed to be the best hotel in Brussels; the 4 star Le Dixseptième is a lovely place about halfway between the station and the GP, next to the Madeleine church in what this map calls Isabellastraat (http://www.ledixseptieme.be/main.html, and scroll down to the lowest map); or the 4 star Dominican (www.thedominican.be) is located behind the opera house, close to shopping but further away from the GP.

Dublin
Level Contributor
490 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: which hotel in central brussels

The Metropole and the N.H Atlanta are beside each other. There is about 20 yards between the two. The Metropole looks like a fine hotel and my father loved sitting outside under the heaters drinking fine Belgium beer and watching the world go pass. I recommended the Atlanta over the Metropole because I have stayed several times and would give it 10 out of 10.

Regards,

Supervanman.

london
Level Contributor
45 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: which hotel in central brussels

we are travelling eurostar. How about the Radisson? From what i can see it looks a fairly good location. Many thanks for the advise by the way

Thessaloniki, Greece
Level Contributor
698 posts
66 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: which hotel in central brussels

Radisson in central Brussels is a chain hotel, efficient and clean but a bit charmless. When I stayed at the Metropole rooms were a hit or miss, you d either get a nice one or a very old one, as it's quite a big and old hotel. I have enjoyed my stay at the Royal Windsor, although I had one their executive suites. Very clean and with very good staff!

6. Re: which hotel in central brussels

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 26 December 2010, 05:18