We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Belgian Chocolate??

Which Brussels hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Singapore, Singapore
4 posts
Save Topic
Belgian Chocolate??

Hello again!!

Any good Belgian Chocolate places or brands to go for when i am in Belgium??

Brussels, Belgium
Level Contributor
30,877 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Belgian Chocolate??

Why don't you just google for this sort of information? At least narrow down WHERE you will be in Belgium, as it would be galling for someone to list places in a city you would not be visiting! This, however, covers various cities: visitflanders.in/press_releases/tempting-eas…

I have given exhaustive information on this subject with respect to Brussels in a previous question, but the major brands available all over Belgium (and elsewhere) are Neuhaus - which opened the first chocolate shop in Belgium in the Galeries St. Hubert in Brussels - Godiva and the "Cornés", i.e. Corné Port Royal and Corné de la Toison d'Or (result from family dispute), plus Côte d'Or and Léonidas. You will find all of these around the Grand' Place area, especially in the Galeries St. Hubert, and in the Sablon where you will also find the more upmarket Marcolini and Wittamer. My favourite however is Frédéric Blondeel next to the St. Catherine metro station, on the side opposite the Welcome Hotel (www.chocolateque.com/…).

Minneapolis...
Level Contributor
21 posts
211 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Belgian Chocolate??

There are chocolate shops everywhere, especially by the Grand Place. Most have free samples so test them out before you buy. I'm my experience, all the chocolate there is better than any chocolate I've ever experienced in the US. US chocolate is just bad.

Ghent, Belgium
Level Contributor
2,556 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Belgian Chocolate??

I would stay away from most chocolate shops between the Grand Place and Manneken Pis.

If you want to try several chocolate shops close to each other you should head to the Sablon as already mentioned above.

For basic good and not too expensive chocs you can go for Leonidas, which offers most bang for your buck.

Brussels, Belgium
Level Contributor
30,877 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Belgian Chocolate??

Just to help adjust your expectations, as a local I probably use different shops or at least branches from those used by tourists, and I have never yet come across one that gave free samples unless introducing a new product. The cost of "free" samples in the tourist shops is almost certainly recovered in the actual prices, and I did read somewhere that Chocopolis (in Carrefour de l'Europe near the Grand' Place - not devoted exclusively to BELGIAN chocolate) tries to make sure that you only get one free sample, so if they think you've been in before (or if you look like someone who has), you don't get it!

There are other sampling possibilities, however. At Frédéric Blondeel, you can have a coffee with 3 "pralines", which you get to choose yourself from everything on display. At Léonidas Chocolates Café in rue des Tongres (Mérode metro, near the Cinquantenaire museums) you can choose 1 from a selection of 3 to have with your coffee. You can also buy ONE praline in any chocolate shop (it isn't at all uncommon to buy a tiny box for someone containing just 1 or 2 chocolates), and if you tell them it is to taste, they MIGHT just offer it for free. But not if they think you expect them to!

I forgot to mention that you can also attend a chocolate-making demonstration - including tasting - at Planète Chocolat on rue du Lombard near the junction with rue du Midi (not far from the Bourse), every Sat and Sun at 16.00 hrs, and there are also chocolate-themed walks in Brussels although I am not sure whether these are all offered in English. This one is, although I couldn't find a description in English, and it costs €11 per person: www.lafonderie.be/index.php… However, it's only available to individuals on certain dates, remaining ones in 2010 being Sat 6/11 and 4/12 and Sun 1/8 (free!) at 14.00 hrs.

On the other hand, many people have been disappointed with the chocolate museum, see http://www.tripadvisor.com/Attraction_Review-g188644-d232077-Reviews-Museum_of_Cocoa_and_Chocolate_Musee_du_Cacao_et_du_Chocolat-Brussels.html; and the same goes for Choco-Story in Brugge: tripadvisor.com/Attraction_Review-g188671-d6…

See also http://www.chocolatetourism.com/belgium.html

Singapore, Singapore
4 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Belgian Chocolate??

opps.. i am very sorry not to state the exact place that i will be going. I will be heading down to Brussels and Liege for my holiday and I am searching for good chocolate brands to buy that are not available in my country.

Thanks for your kind information

brussels
Destination Expert
for Brussels
Level Contributor
1,085 posts
30 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Belgian Chocolate??

if you go to sablon most of the big chains have an outlet in a small geographic area so it is easy to try a few and pick the ones you like.

7. Re: Belgian Chocolate??

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 28 December 2010, 05:17