We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Six Days in Brussels

Toronto, Canada
Level Contributor
34 posts
Save Topic
Six Days in Brussels

Hello Everyone,

My daughter (13 yrs. old) and I will be arriving on July 31 from Nice (after two weeks there) for a 6-day stay in Brussels. We have our hotel booked and will compile some info on the great places to visit and what food to eat etc.

We are curious travellers - love to sightsee, taste great food, love chocolate, unique stores, interesting spots to discover, she loves to shop I not as much, but we usually manage a little bit of everything.

I will go through some of the previous posts here and copy recommendations on restaurants, chocolate shops, waffles and antyhing else I could find but fresh advice would still be greatly appreciated. Specifically: if we are to order mussels, what dish should we go for?

If we find ourselves in the best bakery - what is not to be missed? And such.

We will go to Brugge, likely manage one more day trip.

We will have ample time to not be rushed, but also want to fill our days with memorable sights and experiences.

Thank you!

Mentioned in this post
Brussels
Brussels
Belgium
Le Rabassier
££££, Belgian, European, French
Tonton Garby
£, French, Belgian, European
Aux Merveilleux de Fred
££ - £££, French, Belgian
Brussels, Belgium
Level Contributor
36,563 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Six Days in Brussels

Eat whichever style of mussels appeals to you, seehttp://www.visitbelgium.com/?page=mussels. The same goes if you find yourself in a pâtisserie: two of the best are Wittamer and Marcolini which are opposite each other in the Sablon (both also have chocolate shops in the same square).

Mentioned in this post
Wittamer
Wittamer
522 Reviews
Brussels, Belgium
Toronto, Canada
Level Contributor
34 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Six Days in Brussels

Thank you very much.

We've already spent some time on the visit belgium site - very nicely organized.

With those two patisseries across from each other we'll be frequenting the area.

Have a great summer, everyone!

KTfromNC
Level Contributor
356 posts
83 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Six Days in Brussels

Train to Antwerp Central and then a long walk (roughly 40 minutes) to the waterfront and dinner at Zuiderterras?

Mentioned in this post
Antwerp
Antwerp
Antwerp Province, Belgium
Birmingham, England
Level Contributor
171 posts
30 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Six Days in Brussels

Somewhere I haven't been yet, but I've heard is very interesting with a nice rooftop cafe, is the Museum of Musical Instruments.

I also enjoyed the Atomium (both as a 10-yr-old and when I visited again 20 years later!), and a place I walked to from there (about 20 mins walk) was the Japanese Tower/Chinese Pavillion - interesting places to visit that seemed to be off the tourist trail.

Mentioned in this post
Atomium
Atomium
12,005 Reviews
Brussels, Belgium
Toronto, Canada
Level Contributor
34 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Six Days in Brussels

KT, this is copied in our word doc. It sounds like the kind of thing we would enjoy very much. Thank you.

I am also considering Dinant.

Of course I thought that with 6 days we'll have plenty of time, and in the end we may have to be very selective.

nexus-t, I've written down that museum but this other bit is very new. Thanks.

It was also very nice reading about the Art Nouveau buildings in the city. That will be wonderful to see.

KTfromNC
Level Contributor
356 posts
83 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Six Days in Brussels

Have some chocolate covered waffles. You'll love them.... Try the ice cream. It's very good...

Walk to and view the gardens at Botanique. Small but there's a nice history, and it's a very pleasant place to sit for an hour or two..

Feeling perky?

Walk up the hill to the Parc De Bruxelles. Stroll through to the Royal Place, See if anyone is home...LOL

Then amble down the hill to Place de Espagne as you make you way towards the Grand Place.

Take a day trip to Brugge. Into nature? Walk the canal (moat?) around the town and enjoy. Biking it would be even better if you can find a rental.

Lots more in Brugge I'm sure, but we tend to go off the beaten path...

Were you able, a day trip to Bokrijk would be fun, but getting there might be a problem...

Car rental a possible?

If so, Bokrijk for one, and then there's a couple castle's that would be fun.

Look here: http://www.binbrussels.com/belgium.html

Have fun, it's a wonderful place to be...You will want to return.

Mentioned in this post
Parc de Bruxelles (Warandepark)
Parc de Bruxelles...
768 Reviews
Brussels, Belgium
Grand Place
Grand Place
28,340 Reviews
Brussels, Belgium
Bokrijk
Bokrijk
495 Reviews
Genk, Belgium
Toronto, Canada
Level Contributor
34 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: Six Days in Brussels

I imagine we'll try waffles in variety of ways :)

Thank you for the additional advice. I'll have everything with us and once we are there it will depend on the weather and energy levels how much we'll cover each day. Once we have a map, we'll be making our daily routes and plans. We usually leave some room for improvisation and discovery along the way.

We won't be renting a car and the day trips will be limited to the train connections, unless there are some attractive offers at the hotel. The castles do look interesting and my daughter especially may enjoy visiting one, so that will be a hopeful 'maybe'.

London
Destination Expert
for Switzerland
Level Contributor
2,942 posts
27 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Six Days in Brussels

We've been to the Museum of Musical Instruments and loved it, also as a spectacular art deco building. The new Magritte Museum is super, and it's probably wise to get tickets in advance. For a sunny day, also recommend Bois de la Cambre and Foret de Soignes, easily reached by tram. See http://www.google.co.uk/images?hl=en-GB&rlz=1T4HPEB_en-GBGB244GB244&q=bois+de+la+cambre&um=1&ie=UTF-8&source=univ&ei=0W09TPC3DYry0gSZtPzcDw&sa=X&oi=image_result_group&ct=title&resnum=4&ved=0CDMQsAQwAw for images (hope the link works).

Mentioned in this post
Bois de la Cambre
Bois de la Cambre
574 Reviews
Brussels, Belgium
London, United...
Level Contributor
1,412 posts
31 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Six Days in Brussels

It doesn't look like anyone has answered your question on mussels so I will. In my opnion the best ones are just simply cooked in wine and garlic and served with frites but there are so many different styles.

The only thing is if you eat them now they will not be local as they are out of season so will be imported.

Hope this helps.

Piglet:-)

Toronto, Canada
Level Contributor
34 posts
Save Reply
10. Re: Six Days in Brussels

Additional 'thank you's to swissfan and piglet. That recipe for mussels sounds simple and delicious. It only confirms that you can never go wrong with garlic.

This is our last evening at home; we are leaving tomorrow for Nice. The pages on Brussels will be packed away until the 31st because first comes Cote d'Azur :)

We are hoping for a wonderful trip and I'll be posting some recommendations of my own upon our return.

Thanks, everyone.

Happy summer!

Mentioned in this post
Brussels
Brussels
Belgium