We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

VAT office in Brussels Midi

Sydney, Australia
1 post
Save Topic
VAT office in Brussels Midi

Hi all,

I'm from Australia and I'll be in Europe/UK at the end of the year. I am planning to make some purchases and I'm aware that if I want to claim any VAT back I need to get my papers/refund processed in my last European country before I depart.

I will be departing Brussels (via eurostar to London). I was wondering if anyone could confirm that there is a VAT office in the Brussels Midi station and what the opening hours are? I wasn't able to find anything on the website.

Any help would be much appreciated.

Thanks in advance :D

brussels
Destination Expert
for Brussels
Level Contributor
1,103 posts
43 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: VAT office in Brussels Midi

Value added tax (TVA and BTW in Belgium) of 21% is added on to the price of all consumer goods and services. When leaving Belgium, tourists from outside the EU can apply for a tax refund on goods bought. In Belgium, the minimum purchase to qualify for a refund is EUR125.01, spent in one store.

To reclaim tax you need to request an itemised invoice, indicating the item, price and amount of tax. On departure from Belgium, take the items and invoice to the customs office to be stamped. Once home, send the stamped invoice to the store where you purchased the items who will then send the tax refund to you.

sorry dont know if there is a customs place in gare du midi.

Alternatively, you can purchase goods from shops participating in the Europe Tax-Free Shopping programme (look out for the Tax-Free Shopping logo displayed in the window). Simply show your passport when you make a purchase and you will be given a Tax-Free Shopping cheque showing the refund you are owed. As you leave the country, customs officials will stamp your cheques. You can claim your refund from the Europe Tax-Free Shopping desk or have the refund sent to you. Note that not all shops participate in the refund scheme, so it is best to ask before you buy.

Brussels, Belgium
Level Contributor
32,686 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: VAT office in Brussels Midi

There is no VAT office at Gare du Midi for the simple reason that it is not possible to leave the European Union there! You seem to think the UK is not "in Europe". Geographically, it is, and politically it is in the European Union (much as it would apparently prefer not to be), therefore you will not be leaving the EU until you leave the UK.

Brussels, Belgium
Level Contributor
32,686 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: VAT office in Brussels Midi

P.S. Maybe you are confusing customs with passport control? The UK is not in Schengen, which is why you have to go through passport controls at Gare du Midi (which, together with security checks, is why you have to "check-in" for Eurostar at least 30 minutes before departure). But passport officials are not customs officers. The UK is well and truly inside the EU's customs union.

Level Contributor
566 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: VAT office in Brussels Midi

Hi, there's no VAT office in any rail station in Belgium, but you can have customs officials stamp your cheques at the airport in the UK (since you leave the EU from UK).

5. Re: VAT office in Brussels Midi

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 10 January 2011, 05:17