We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

airport currency exchange?

Chicago, Illinois
Level Contributor
139 posts
196 reviews
Save Topic
airport currency exchange?

We are flying to Brussels tomorrow, then onto Paris in a few days.. I had meant to exchange some dollars for Euros.. but ran out of time.. most transactions we will be putting on a credit card, but I want to get a few 100 Euros for cabs, tips etc. Is there a place at the airport to do so? If not will the cabs take a credit card or american dollars?

KTfromNC
Level Contributor
356 posts
83 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: airport currency exchange?

Best bet is at an ATM. There are some in the airport.

Hopefully you've notified your bank that you'll be traveling.

Yes, there are currency exchange places at the airport, but you will pay dearly for their service... Use them as a very last resort...

Brussels, Belgium
Level Contributor
34,547 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: airport currency exchange?

No, taxis will not take American dollars (why would they, do American taxis take euros?) and any shop etc. that does accept foreign currency will apply its own exchange rate, which is always going to be worse than what you would get at a bank or exchange bureau.

Be careful also about relying on credit cards, they are not quite as widely used here as in the U.S. Although I believe taxis from the airport should take them.

There are exchange places in the luggage reclaim area, when you arrive at BRU; I only know of ATMs on the "landside".

brussels
Destination Expert
for Brussels
Level Contributor
1,107 posts
44 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: airport currency exchange?

some taxis take CCs but your best bet is cash from an atm of which there are any catterred around the aiport. Your best bet to get into BXL depending on where you are staying is to take the train form the aiport.

USD or any currency denominated travellers checks will not be accepted as cash in any european country unless you happen to eb on a US base and can use the PX/BX

4. Re: airport currency exchange?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 10 January 2011, 06:18