We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Brussels or Amsterdam?

Fountain Hills...
Level Contributor
2 posts
41 reviews
Save Topic
Brussels or Amsterdam?

We are spending two weeks in the UK in early June, then with our last three days we want to fly to either Brussels or Amsterdam. Any thoughts about which city would be better to visit. Thanks!

Brussels, Belgium
Level Contributor
32,960 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Brussels or Amsterdam?

"Better" based on what criteria? What are your tastes? If you were to choose Brussels, then if you would be coming from London, it is easier to take the train rather than fly: it takes 1h50 on Eurostar from London St. Pancras to Brussels Gare du Midi, see www.eurostar.com.

Fountain Hills...
Level Contributor
2 posts
41 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Brussels or Amsterdam?

We will be flying from Newcastle, UK. Then we will take the train from Brussels or Amsterdam to London.

"Better" would be which city has more to see and do, and is really interesting. Any new place is interesting to us - there is no place in the world where I can say it' not worth visiting.

We've been to Paris several times and enjoy the french language and culture, so Brussel, with its french influence is of interest. But Amsterdam would be a total change for us.

We will be travelng with our 15 year old daughter. We enjoy visiting museums, cathedrals, town squares where you can relax in a cafe, and just generaly enjoying new sites.

Hope this helps. Thanks for your thoughts.

brussels
Destination Expert
for Brussels
Level Contributor
1,106 posts
43 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Brussels or Amsterdam?

it is far easier to take the eurostar from brussels so if you are going back through london i would end up at the easiest point of departure ie BXL.

brussels
Destination Expert
for Brussels
Level Contributor
1,106 posts
43 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Brussels or Amsterdam?

in addition within a short distance of bxl you could go to some of the flemish towns whilst not amsterdam it would give you the flavour of vlaamse culture. if you really felt the need you could take a day trip to amsterdam.

UK
Level Contributor
2,879 posts
53 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Brussels or Amsterdam?

I've visited both cities on many occasions. If I had the opportunity to spend three days in either city I would immediately choose Amsterdam as it has more to offer both culturally and scenically Brussels is predominantly a business city with a beautiful central square.

Amsterdam, The...
Destination Expert
for Amsterdam
Level Contributor
39,314 posts
79 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Brussels or Amsterdam?

Undoubtedly Amsterdam but then I would say that.

Chicago
Level Contributor
7,071 posts
1 review
Save Reply
7. Re: Brussels or Amsterdam?

Since you have a 15 year old, she might enjoy visiting the Anne Frank house in Amsterdam, as she is the same age Anne Frank was.

I agree, though, that it does depend on what your and your daughter's tastes are. You may want to consider Bruges instead of Brussels, and pick between that and Amsterdam. I was in both cities for a couple of days two years ago, and easily filled my days, visiting museums in Amsterdam and taking the train from Bruges to Ieper for the In Flanders Field WWI museum.

8. Re: Brussels or Amsterdam?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 28 October 2012, 14:15