We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

October Trip to Brussels - restaurants in city center?

Which Brussels hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Omaha, Nebraska
Level Contributor
9 posts
124 reviews
Save Topic
October Trip to Brussels - restaurants in city center?

My wife and I are planning our first trip to Brussels this year in Mid October. Our hotel is close to the city center. We are both beer fans - Belgium beers being among our favorites.

Now it's time for some serious research!

I have never been steered wrong with opinions from Trip Advisor. Any suggestions for good restaurants within walking distance?

How about Nightlife in the area for 45-50 year olds?

We plan to visit some breweries as well. There are a lot to pick from. Neither one of us can gag down Stella, so that one can be skipped. We both LOVE most Belgium Beers. Lambic is a bit sweet for us, Chimay is one of her favorites, I prefer the lighter ones like Duvel and Delirium Tremens (sometimes a bit TOO much - lol). Leffe is a good compromise for both of us. Anyone out there who is also a beer lover can identify with some of these? We'd like to visit a few of these, but also try some new ones as well. Any suggestions would be appreciated.

Thanks in advance!

Europe
Level Contributor
69 posts
52 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: October Trip to Brussels - restaurants in city center?

If you ever make it to Bruges then you MUST visit the brewery/museum of Straffe Hendrik which came out with a Bruges Quadrupel about 4 months ago. There is a beer garden there to taste this amazing beer.

Omaha, Nebraska
Level Contributor
9 posts
124 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: October Trip to Brussels - restaurants in city center?

Actually we were looking at a day trip to Bruges. I will note that on our list if we go ! Thanks from a couple beer lovers.

Edited: 19 August 2011, 12:42
Brussels, Belgium
Level Contributor
31,914 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: October Trip to Brussels - restaurants in city center?

Restaurants within walking distance of WHAT, exactly? As some hotels at Louise describe themselves as being in the city centre, you need to specify an exact location (officially, the centre is Place de Brouckère).

There are dozens of restaurants near the Grand' Place but I would advise you to steer clear of most of those in the Ilôt Sacré, in particular the tourist trap rue des Bouchers, petite rue des Bouchers and rue Grétry. Those in the Galeries St. Hubert, however, are fine.

Edited: 20 August 2011, 22:55
brussels
Destination Expert
for Brussels
Level Contributor
1,098 posts
38 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: October Trip to Brussels - restaurants in city center?

try a geuze like hannssens, or drie fonteinen or cantillon, you wont find them too sweet.

if you are in bxl go to http://www.moederlambic.eu/

this has a very good range of local beers.

I have done extensive research and have a database of more than 1200 belgian beers i have had.

if you post where you are staying i will provide a more customized list of bars

Brussels, Belgium
Level Contributor
2 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: October Trip to Brussels - restaurants in city center?

If you can, pass by Délices et Caprices, a small specialty beer shop on Rue des Bouchers, just around the corner from the Galerie de la Reine.

the-belgian-beer-tasting-shop.be/en/welcome/

They have a smaller number of beers than the bigger shops in the center, but the owner and staff are fabulous at bringing out hard-to-find beers, and they will be more than glad to give you all the information you need.

Enjoy the trip...!

PS Just as brusselsboy says, don't miss out on Moeder Lambic. I slightly prefer the one in St. Gilles, but the newer place in the center has more seats and is easier to reach.

Omaha, Nebraska
Level Contributor
9 posts
124 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: October Trip to Brussels - restaurants in city center?

We just heard there is an Oktoberfest in Brussels. Any one have dates and where it's located? Hope it's not too late to change our reservations if necessary!

Omaha, Nebraska
Level Contributor
9 posts
124 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: October Trip to Brussels - restaurants in city center?

We're staying near the Grand Place. Within walking distance to the train station.

Omaha, Nebraska
Level Contributor
9 posts
124 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: October Trip to Brussels - restaurants in city center?

Thanks for the tip on- www.the-belgian-beer-tasting-shop.be/en/map/

this looks really interesting!

This page does not let me click on anything for more info - other than an email link

http://www.moederlambic.eu/

Edited: 24 August 2011, 01:14
brussels
Destination Expert
for Brussels
Level Contributor
1,098 posts
38 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: October Trip to Brussels - restaurants in city center?

the oktoberfest is usually in place jourdan it is ok but not every year you should check if it is on this year

10. Re: October Trip to Brussels - restaurants in city center?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 11 October 2012, 21:16