We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

MIDI to Grand Place

Which Brussels hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Red Deer, Canada
Level Contributor
14 posts
2 reviews
Save Topic
MIDI to Grand Place

what's the fastest way to get from the Midi Train Station to Grand Place? We arrive from Paris at 0723 and need to be at Grasmarkt by 0830

Portland, Oregon USA
Level Contributor
2,624 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: MIDI to Grand Place

Take a cab, it shouldn't cost that much and is a sure thing.

Edited: 06 September 2011, 00:50
Red Deer, Canada
Level Contributor
14 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: MIDI to Grand Place

thanks Teleport.. does someone know how far Grasmrkt 82 Rue du marche aux herbes is from Rue du Brabant 80?

Quainton, United...
Level Contributor
7,621 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: MIDI to Grand Place

It's a 25 minute walk from Brussels Midi to the Grand Place, or you can hop on a suburban train every few minutes from Midi to Brussels Central, a 2 minute walk from the Grand Place, and a fraction of the cost of a taxi.

Brussels, Belgium
Level Contributor
30,860 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: MIDI to Grand Place

It certainly wouldn't be a 25-minute walk for me from Gare du Midi to rue du Marché aux Herbes (Grasmarkt), but more like 40 minutes, plus it's a horrible walk especially at the beginning where Some People seem to have confused the railway arches with a public toilet.

With an hour to get there, you can indeed catch any of the trains (not necessarily suburban, as this includes trains going to e.g. Luxembourg!) going North from Gare du Midi, there is one every 5-10 minutes and the easiest to find would be those going to the airport, every 20 minutes, as I think these are still indicated on the departure board/monitors with a little plane. Your Thalys ticket covers you for travel to either of Brussels' other main stations (Central and Nord), and whichever North-bound train you catch, it takes only 2-3 minutes from Midi to Central.

The alternative would be to take the metro (in fact underground tram, line 3 or 4) to Bourse, but for this you would have to pay for separate tickets (€1.80). 82 rue du Marché aux Herbes is near the petite rue des Bouchers. If you google the address you will get a map.

Rue de Brabant is over near Gare du Nord in Schaerbeek, I guess it would take The Man only 10 minutes to walk there from rue du Marché aux Herbes, but it would take me a good 20 mins. No. 80 (Chao Chow Palace Hotel, which I have to say I consider to be a HORRIBLE place to stay!!) is on the corner of rue de l'Ascension; if you used up your free transfer to ONE other Brussels station by using your Thalys ticket to Gare centrale, then the easiest way to get there would be to take the metro from Bourse/De Brouckère to Rogier, come outside into Place Rogier, walk over to the side where the Brussels City Hilton is, and go under the bridge in that corner of the square (lit underneath with multi-coloured lights), you will see the CCP as soon as you come out on the other side. Alternatively, if you take a train/metro to Gare du Nord you can come out of the back exit, which I think may be signposted rue de Brabant (anyway, opposite side from the one signposted to the city centre) and it's virtually just across the road.

Edited: 06 September 2011, 12:44
Brussels
Level Contributor
5,260 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: MIDI to Grand Place

< does someone know how far Grasmrkt 82 Rue du marche aux herbes is from Rue du Brabant 80? >

At least a mile - probably a bit more.

Brussels
Level Contributor
5,260 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: MIDI to Grand Place

< Take a cab, it shouldn't cost that much and is a sure thing. >

Nobody who lives in Brussels would suggest that driving round the inner ring road in the middle of the morning rush hour was a "sure" way to get anywhere fast - and that is what a trip by taxi from Midi to the Grand-Place would involve. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7e5A529obhQ

Train - free; 3 minutes - or metro (subway) - €1.80; 5 minutes - would be much more reliable.

Red Deer, Canada
Level Contributor
14 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: MIDI to Grand Place

thanks!

Red Deer, Canada
Level Contributor
14 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: MIDI to Grand Place

thanks so much qaminari. I really appreciate all this info. I am very grateful you took the time to respond to me. I will print up all the responses I got and will definitely use them as my guide when we get to Brussels. Have a grand life!

Portland, Oregon USA
Level Contributor
2,624 posts
Save Reply
9. Re: MIDI to Grand Place

Gee Colin56, it is only 1500 or 1600 meters from Midi to the Grand Place. I didn't know that Brussel's taxi drivers were so inept that they couldn't cover that distance in less than one hour.

Thanks for the warning.

Kuala Lumpur...
Level Contributor
6 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: MIDI to Grand Place

Hye,

I will be traveling into Brussels via Eurostar from London this winter. So I believe, the information you gave also valid for me, I think.

Thanks