We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Forest National Transportation

Connecticut, USA
2 posts
Save Topic
Forest National Transportation

My sister and I have tickets for a concert at Forest National/Vorst Nationaal in a few weeks. How difficult is it to get there from central Brussels? Is public transportation available or is it better to take a taxi? How long will it take to get there? (The concert starts at 8pm on a Saturday night) We are arriving in Brussels from Bruges the morning of the concert and will be departing for Amsterdam the following day via Thalys. Any hotel recommendations (100-125 Euro price range) which would be convenient for getting to/from the concert venue as well as allowing us to easily spend the day exploring the city AND not too difficult to travel to/from the train stations? I realize that’s a huge challenge so thanks in advance for any assistance you can provide!

Brussels
Level Contributor
5,505 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Forest National Transportation

< My sister and I have tickets for a concert at Forest National/Vorst Nationaal in a few weeks. How difficult is it to get there from central Brussels? Is public transportation available or is it better to take a taxi? How long will it take to get there? >

Exact public transport route will depend on where in Brussels you start from.

Bus 54 stops at Forest-National stib.be/irj/…EN_HP_54_2938_20110901_Col.pdf

It takes 20 to 30 minutes by bus from the Porte de Namur metro (subway) station, which is fairly near the centre. stib.be/irj/…EN_HL_54_20110901_Col.pdf

Trams 32, 82 and 97, and bus 48, pass nearby www.stib.be/horaires-dienstregeling.html?l=en

Brussels, Belgium
Level Contributor
32,183 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Forest National Transportation

Although I don't know how much it costs, to fit in with departure from Porte de Namur, the Hotel Chambord would be well located for you, at the top of rue de Namur. Upon arrival from Brugge you would take the metro to Porte de Namur metro station: the exit on rue de Namur side (from inside the metro station, directly opposite the ch. d'Ixelles exit) comes out very close to the hotel. To return to Midi for Thalys to Paris, again the metro goes there direct from Porte de Namur.

For Forest National, coming out of the hotel, turn left and at the corner (oriental antiques shop), turn left again and you will see a stop for the 54 bus direction Forest-Centre. There's another one across the junction in Chaussée d'Ixelles, outside the Post Office next to Casa.

Although the rue de Namur has been dug up recently, if you walk down it (5 mins) you will find the Place Royale where there are a number of museums, and view over the city centre.

The 54 bus starts at Place du Luxembourg (expensive hotels nearby such as Radisson Blu, Renaissance, Leopold, Stanhope) and goes past Trône metro station, crossing Avenue Louise at Bailli (Four Points Sheraton), so you could also look at hotels in these areas or for that matter anywhere on the public transport system. If you wanted to stay near Gare du Midi (not a very pleasant area), there is an Ibis right next to the station.

Connecticut, USA
2 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Forest National Transportation

Thank you both for the fabulous and very helpful information..... we can't wait for our vacation to start in a few days!!

coventry
Level Contributor
8 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Forest National Transportation

Further to the question can anyone tell me the most convenient method of travel from near the Eurostar rail station to the the concert hall.

If my french serves me right I have a voucher for a return ticket possibly anywhere on the Brussels public transporattion system.

thanks.

Brussels, Belgium
Level Contributor
32,183 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Forest National Transportation

The Eurostar arrives at Bruxelles-Midi, from where the 82 tram (direction Drogenbos) brings you to the Zaman stop (8 stops after Midi, the one before is called Châtaignes) which is a short (signposted) walk from Forest National.

I didn't know Eurostar gave out vouchers for return tickets on STIB, the Brussels city transport system. I imagine these would have to be exchanged for something else and doubt that this could be done by the tram driver, so you might have to go down to the metro station ticket office first. Are there no instructions with your voucher?

For metro, follow M signs when you come into the main concourse after coming down from Eurostar platform, and these will bring you to escalators going down to level -1 where the ticket office is.

For the 82 tram, follow signs to "rue couverte" (+ pictograms for buses/ trams) which is on the same level as the main concourse. When you exit the glass doors, you will be under the railway lines (hence "covered street"), the direction you want is the first set of tramlines, i.e. closest to the station, ahead of you and to the right.

Edited: 17 October 2012, 17:40
Brussels
Level Contributor
5,505 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Forest National Transportation

< I didn't know Eurostar gave out vouchers for return tickets on STIB ... I imagine these would have to be exchanged for something else and doubt that this could be done by the tram driver, so you might have to go down to the metro station ticket office first. Are there no instructions with your voucher? >

I suspect this may be an "Event Pass" voucher supplied with a concert ticket http://www.stib.be/eventpass.html?l=en

("Register" at a ticket vending machine simply means "go to" a ticket vending machine as the French version of the website makes clear http://www.stib.be/eventpass.html?l=fr )

coventry
Level Contributor
8 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Forest National Transportation

Thank you for both replies. The 'suspicion' of colin56 is exactly right.

I have an Event Pass provided with the ticket for a concert being given by Andre Rieu on Nov 27th.at the Forest National.

I more or less came to the conclusion that it was a ticket voucher but was not sure. Submitting the text on the pass to an online translator was inconclusive

I have booked an appartment near the Euro Star terminal. so my journey to the concert will start from there.

Thanks again.

Edited: 17 October 2012, 23:29
Brussels, Belgium
Level Contributor
32,183 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Forest National Transportation

I'm afraid Gare du Midi (the Eurostar terminal is merely 2 platforms inside that station, like at St. Pancras) is not a very nice area to stay in, but you will find ticket machines on the further tram platform under the railway tracks, that is the opposite side from the one from which you will be taking the 82 tram, direction Drogenbos.

There are 2 "GO" machines against a wall (temporary partition?) that I seem to remember has been painted orange. The instructions found by Colin56 say you have to

- Select "Event Pass" on the screen

- Enter the 9-digit code given on your concert ticket

- Collect your Event Pass and travel to your event using STIB.

London, United...
Level Contributor
37 posts
Save Reply
9. Re: Forest National Transportation

I brainstorm these would accept to be exchanged for something abroad and agnosticism that this could be done by the tram driver, so you ability accept to go down to the bus line base admission appointment first

Brussels, Belgium
Level Contributor
32,183 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Forest National Transportation

Colin56 already pointed out that STIB ticket has to be collected from GO machine, on the basis of voucher code on concert ticket. There is no need to "go down to the bus line base admission appointment first", whatever that may mean (even if it is quite true that the voucher itself can't be presented to the tram driver), as there are GO machines next to the tram platform.