We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

World War I sites in January

Which Brussels hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Lynchburg, Virginia
Level Contributor
12 posts
66 reviews
Save Topic
World War I sites in January

Greetings! We are staying in Bruges for 5 days in January. What would be our best options for visiting WW1 sites/museums during this very chilly time of the year? We are traveling by train but happy to have a tour guide. Many thanks, in advance!

Bromley
Destination Expert
for Bruges
Level Contributor
1,041 posts
27 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: World War I sites in January

Hi,

Most of the battlefields and sites are out of town so difficult to get to via public transport (not impossible, but you will spend time waiting around).

I would suggest that you book a tour, here are a couple that provide pic up and drop offs from Bruges. I have not taken either of them, but they get good reviews on TripAdvisor:

http://www.quasimodo.be/bustrips.htm#1

visitbruges.org/visit-tours-bruges/…

tripadvisor.co.uk/Attractions-g188671-Activi…

Lynchburg, Virginia
Level Contributor
12 posts
66 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: World War I sites in January

Dear Mr Englishman,

Many thanks for the quick response and for providing the links. My daughter and I would prefer to visit art museums and shop but we do seek to keep our husband/father happy! Though we are Americans, we do have a keen sense of appreciation for the losses which our Allies experienced.

London, United...
Level Contributor
2,721 posts
1 review
Save Reply
3. Re: World War I sites in January

As you come from the U.S., you may be interested in the American Cemetery at Waregem

www.abmc.gov/cemeteries/cemeteries/ff.php

This is accessible from Bruges by train, with a change at Kortrijk. From the station at Waregem you can get a bus or a taxi to the cemetery.

Chicago
Level Contributor
6,416 posts
1 review
Save Reply
4. Re: World War I sites in January

Two years ago I stayed in Bruges and took the train to Ieper to see the museum there on Flanders Field. I would have liked to do a tour but it didn't mesh with my schedule. The museum itself is well-worth visiting, and if the train schedule allows it, there is a ceremony in the evening at the Menin Gate as well. The train required a change at Kortrijk but was quite easy. Interestingly, on the return trip, I knew much more about the towns I passed on train and the roles they played in the battles, which gave me quite a different perspective.

Definitely want to return one day to visit other towns and war sites.

Lynchburg, Virginia
Level Contributor
12 posts
66 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: World War I sites in January

mr duncan, thank you so much for your notation regarding the American cemetery, as a visit there would be especially meaningful.

Lynchburg, Virginia
Level Contributor
12 posts
66 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: World War I sites in January

dear warrior, i do thank you for your insight on the flanders field museum and the gate ceremony, though i am not sure that 8pm on a january night will find us outdoors! we are not nearly as hardy as those brave souls.....

7. Re: World War I sites in January

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 01 December 2012, 10:19