We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Beef/horsemeat

Which Brussels hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
comox valley,bc...
Level Contributor
83 posts
27 reviews
Save Topic
Beef/horsemeat

If i order a steak/pommfrites will the steak be beef or horsemeat?or do i have a choice

Ghent, Belgium
Level Contributor
2,556 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Beef/horsemeat

Almost all of the time it will be beef. Wonder where this notion comes from that we eat horse all the time over here.

London
Destination Expert
for Bruges
Level Contributor
811 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Beef/horsemeat

Horse is generally more expensive than beef so there is no economic benefit to the restaurant to "accidentally" serve horse.

Where horse is served the menu is usually pretty clear so you know what you are getting into.

And pbuyse2 - I think it is the standard national stereotype, like Brits all wearing bowler hats and drinking warm beer, the Koreans all eating dog, and so on ........

Ghent, Belgium
Level Contributor
2,556 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Beef/horsemeat

Yeah Nettle, but all the others are true, ours is not, lol.

The only times I saw horse steak on a menu, it was clearly mentioned.

Bromley
Destination Expert
for Bruges
Level Contributor
1,041 posts
27 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Beef/horsemeat

pbuyse2 - I'll doff my bowler to that.

5. Re: Beef/horsemeat

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 22 June 2013, 22:15