We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Schumann area

Hudson Valley, NY
Level Contributor
42 posts
4 reviews
Save Topic
Schumann area

My husband and I are planning a 2 night stay in Brussels. The hotel we are considering is the new Radisson SAS Eu Hotel in the Schumann area near the European Parliament. Is this a good choice in regard to location and touring Brussels. We have never been to Brussels before and have no idea if this is a good location.

Mentioned in this post
Brussels
Brussels
Belgium
Pillows Grand Hotel Place Rouppe
Pillows Grand Hotel Place Rouppe
#1 of 197 hotels in Brussels
MAS Residence
MAS Residence
#2 of 197 hotels in Brussels
FunKey Hotel
FunKey Hotel
#3 of 197 hotels in Brussels
Brussels, Belgium
Level Contributor
36,036 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Schumann area

Contrary to what it says on its website, this hotel is not in the Schuman area (there is no SchumaNN area, which would refer to the Austrian composer instead of the French founder of the EU!) but near the Square du Luxembourg, which is indeed near the European Parliament. It is therefore more conveniently located for people dealing with the Parliament than for tourists, who would be better served by the other Radisson SAS in rue du Fossé aux Loups.

Still, it is convenient for the no. 12 airport bus, which terminates in the Place du Luxembourg, unless you arrive at the weekend when the no. 11 stops at Schuman instead, making it more convenient to take the train to Gare du Nord and change there for the Gare du Luxembourg. It is not convenient for the metro, the nearest one is Trône which is only 5-10 minutes walk away but this can be a long way in the rain. Therefore, you would be well advised to use buses. You can buy a 1/multi-day STIB card, usable in metros, trams and buses (except the airport bus, beyond the city boundary) from any metro station, and get a network map there too. Useful buses that serve the Pl. du Luxembourg include the 27, which goes one way (direction: Verheyleweghen) to the Cinquantenaire museums and the other way (direction Gare du Midi) to the museums around Place Royale, the Sablon and the Marolles; and the 95/96 (direction Bourse) which stops (I think it is the St. Jean stop, anyway the one after the Sablon) near the Grand' Place and Manneken Pis. The various open-topped "hop-on, hop-off" buses also stop in the Place du Luxembourg.

If the weather is fine, you may enjoy all the terrace cafés around the Place du Luxembourg and if you were here for Belgium's national day, you could see the fireworks reflected in the European Parliament building!

Have fun.

Mentioned in this post
Place Royale
Place Royale
311 Reviews
Brussels, Belgium
Manneken Pis
Manneken Pis
13,120 Reviews
Brussels, Belgium
Brussels, Belgium
Level Contributor
36,036 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Schumann area

PS In the first paragraph of my reply above I should have said Place and not Square du Luxembourg. Also, if you are considering another hotel in the Schuman area itself, this would be quite convenient as you can always be sure the airport bus is going to go that far, and it is also on the metro. But, being an office area, it is dead (except for pubs and restaurants down rue Archimède) in the evenings and at weekends. It takes me a good 15 minutes to walk from Schuman to Luxembourg, there is a bus (22), but it goes a very long way round and doesn't run on weekends. For the sake of completion, the 27 bus to the Place du Luxembourg (direction: Gare du Midi) passes one block from Schuman, the stop is behind the Juste Lipse (Council) building; and trains from Schuman railway station, adjacent to and accessible from Schuman metro station, stop at the Gare du Luxembourg right next door to the Radisson EU hotel.

Mentioned in this post
brussels
Destination Expert
for Brussels
Level Contributor
1,114 posts
44 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Schumann area

i agree that this is not the best area for a tourist. It will be quiet at the weekend.Having said that if the price is good there are plenty of buses to get you around.