We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

PLEASE HELP!! Need info on where to live urgently!!!

Cork, Ireland
Level Contributor
16 posts
9 reviews
Save Topic
PLEASE HELP!! Need info on where to live urgently!!!

Hi all!

Myself and 2 other girls are moving to Brussels at the end of March as interns for a few months. After much (and I mean MUCH) searching, we've found a place on Rue Souveraine, just off Chaussee d'ixelles. What I need to know is, is this area safe???????? Bear in mind we are 3 girls in our early 20's on our own and we need some where thats safe to walk at night etc!

I'd be so greatly of your help!

Thanks!

Brussels, Belgium
Level Contributor
156 posts
23 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: PLEASE HELP!! Need info on where to live urgently!!!

Yes this is a safe neighborhood. Nevertheless it's always a good idea to be careful at night (like in every big city). Especially, be careful when you take the metro at night.

Amersfoort, The...
Destination Expert
for Amsterdam
Level Contributor
7,721 posts
44 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: PLEASE HELP!! Need info on where to live urgently!!!

Its a safe area and a great spot generally. You'll be fine.

Brussels, Belgium
Destination Expert
for Seville
Level Contributor
4,046 posts
24 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: PLEASE HELP!! Need info on where to live urgently!!!

Very nice area. Close to Fernand Coq square and St. Boniface area, both full of restaurants and nice bars. Also close to Chee de Ixelles, shopping district. Close to a metro station (Porte de Namur) and to the African neighborhood (Matonge), which always has something going on. On the opposite site, you are also walking distance to Av. Louise (posh district) and Chatelain area (also posh restaurants/bar area).

It's pretty safe all day and night round, tho I would take similar city-wise precautions as anywhere else (don't walk at night alone in places that look dodgy to you) but other than that you'll be fine.

Have a great time in Ixelles!

Hint: some meters away from your house in Rue Keyenveld 36 there is one of my favorite belgian food restaurants, Les Brassins. Also, very close to it in the same street there is a little sign in one door (look for it!) being the house where Audrey Hepburn was born! If this area was good enough for Audrey I'm sure you'll be ok! :)

brussels
Destination Expert
for Brussels
Level Contributor
1,103 posts
43 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: PLEASE HELP!! Need info on where to live urgently!!!

well she didnt have a choice where she was born and she left fairly quickly thereafter. That said i do not like the Matonges area as the "always someting going on" part is what i would wish to avoid., in my opinion it is a fairly run down area and not great to walk around at night.

Brussels, Belgium
Destination Expert
for Seville
Level Contributor
4,046 posts
24 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: PLEASE HELP!! Need info on where to live urgently!!!

isn't it great when someone has your same sense of humor and irony? thanks for sharing brusselsboy!

Besides that, I meant positve sense that "always something going on". There is a couple of nice restaurants I like in the area (Matonge/St Boniface) and a great bar (Le grain d'orge), and on the pedestrian st you get this chicken legs and music african atmosphere. I've walked day and night time thru matonge and i've never encountered a problem.

6. Re: PLEASE HELP!! Need info on where to live urgently!!!

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 18 June 2013, 10:41