We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Need advice about Brussels Day Trips for family of 4

San Francisco
Level Contributor
86 posts
2 reviews
Save Topic
Need advice about Brussels Day Trips for family of 4

We will be in the Netherlands and Belgium for 11 days end of April and need some advice for the last part of our trip. In the Netherlands (APril 25-May 1), we will be visiting the countryside north of Amsterdam on a 3 night bicycle tour, attending a friend's wedding in Amsterdam, celebrating Queen's day, and visiting Keukenhof in Netherlands. Then we train over to Bruges for two nights and then have three remaining nights before we head home. We are debating spending those three nights in Brussels and visiting the city and some surrounding areas like Ghent or Antwerp, but are open to also spending nights elsewhere. The only thing we have to do is make it back to Brussels on the morning of the 6th for our international flight home! What would you recommend? My husband is wondering if we should check out Liege or Aachen in Germany, or even Paris on the Thalys, since he thinks 5 nights might be a lot to spend in Belgium and we are close to so many other places. Please note we will have a 4 yr old and 10 month old with us, who are very well-traveled but still children, of course! Thank you in advance!

Mentioned in this post
Belgium
Belgium
Europe
April
April
218 Reviews
Berlin, Germany
Amsterdam
Amsterdam
North Holland Province, The Netherlands
Bruges
Bruges
West Flanders Province, Belgium
Brussels
Brussels
Belgium
Ghent
Ghent
East Flanders Province, Belgium
Antwerp
Antwerp
Antwerp Province, Belgium
Liege
Liege
Liege Province, Belgium
Aachen
Aachen
North Rhine-Westphalia, Germany
Germany
Germany
Europe
Paris
Paris
Ile-de-France, France
Brussels, Belgium
Level Contributor
156 posts
23 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Need advice about Brussels Day Trips for family of 4

Brussels is a great city to visit. It's also a great location if you want to visit Ghent or Antwerp (both about a 40 minute train ride). There is enough to see in Belgium for a visit of 5 days. Personally I wouldn't visit Liege or Aachen. These are not as attractive as Brussels or Ghent.

Paris is of course one of the most beautiful cities in the world. Again, easy and quite fast to reach from Brussels. Just don't forget you'll lose some time in the train(book tickets in advance) and Paris can be quite expensive.

Mentioned in this post
Brussels
Brussels
Belgium
Ghent
Ghent
East Flanders Province, Belgium
Antwerp
Antwerp
Antwerp Province, Belgium
Belgium
Belgium
Europe
Liege
Liege
Liege Province, Belgium
Aachen
Aachen
North Rhine-Westphalia, Germany
Paris
Paris
Ile-de-France, France
brussels
Destination Expert
for Brussels
Level Contributor
1,114 posts
44 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Need advice about Brussels Day Trips for family of 4

brussels is not particularly attractive so i wouldnt do more than two nights , i wouldnt bother with paris you dont have much time unless you have a site identified lke the ouvre or musee dórsay. to bifg to do in a day.

Try leuven if you are in BXL you coukld trian to the ardenne in a dayif you felt like it . I would drive to dusseldorf for a few brs or cologne or take the train if you want a germainc kleg to your trip.

3. Re: Need advice about Brussels Day Trips for family of 4

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 19 June 2013, 15:15