We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Christmas in Brussels?

buddy032606
Level Contributor
35 posts
30 reviews
Save Topic
Christmas in Brussels?

Has anyone been to Brussels at Christmas time? Was thinking of going December 20-25. Any suggestions of what to do or where to stay?

Brussels, Belgium
Level Contributor
34,536 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Christmas in Brussels?

Winter Market around Bourse/St. Catherine (not very Christmassy except for the mulled wine), open-air skating rink at St. Catherine, decorations and sound-and-light show in the Grand' Place (google youtube electrabel nights if you want to see previous years' shows)... all the normal museums and tourist sights (see under "Things to Do" on the left-hand side of this page).

You'd probably want to stay somewhere near Gare centrale, e.g. anything with Grand' Place in its name (Ibis "Off Grand' Place", Novotel ditto) or if you want to be in the heart of the Winter Market, on the other side of the GP near Bourse (Marriott..) or St. Catherine (Welcome Hotel). Exactly where depends on your taste and budget: you can list "Brussels hotels" (list on the left of page) by price or ratings, as you prefer.

Nashville, TN
Level Contributor
6,095 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Christmas in Brussels?

We've been there several times in December as we enjoy visiting Christmas markets (and not for the mulled wine, we don't drink). We've usually stayed at the Marriott which is in the middle of the area (it covers sseveral locations). In addition to the one in Brussels, there are also markets in a number of other locations.

visitbrussels.be/bitc/BE_en/minisite_winterw…

Manchester, United...
Level Contributor
33 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Christmas in Brussels?

We went this Christmas from the 19th to 21st. I have to say, coming from Manchester, we were disappointed with the Christmas markets, and felt that they were no where near as good as the one we have here. Having said that, it was a nice time of year to go, especially coming in from the cold to a cosy local bar.

buddy032606
Level Contributor
35 posts
30 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Christmas in Brussels?

Thanks salsoul6, qaminari9 and vegas-guide!

Edited: 24 April 2012, 22:03
Sweden
Level Contributor
5 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Christmas in Brussels?

How u enjoy the chrismas in Belgium? I m planning to go there also for a chrismas this yr, but still thinking about Belgium, Paris or Prague? Anyone more eperiences in this places??? :)

Melbourne, Florida
Level Contributor
437 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Christmas in Brussels?

Hi Vegas-guide--we are also in "Nash-vegas " and thinking of touring Brussels this Christmas.

Considering splitting time betwween Brussels and Ghent--also using Marriott points.

This would be our first trip to Belgium and I have just started to look into this.

Both Brussels and Ghent look amazing and the Christmas markets are a big attraction.

Do you recommend Christmas in either city?

Any preference on airlines from Nashville to Brussels?

Thank you for any tips,

PJ

Nottingham, United...
Level Contributor
3,378 posts
149 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Christmas in Brussels?

Yes I have and I stayed at Le Méridien directly opposite the central station.

It is a few years ago and we were very lucky with the weather although it did snow on arrival. Apart from that it was bright and sunny although very cold.

Our time was spent taking some day trips by train to Bruges, Ghent and Antwerp and the rest exploring Brussels itself.

Brussels is a great City and easy to get around but it isn't somewhere where I could occupy myself entirely for more than a couple of days. The Christmas Market disappointed me but maybe I expected too much. The one in Ghent appealed to me more but that is just my opinion.

I did get rather attached to the St Hubert Gallery especially for coffee and cake. Avenue Louise I also enjoyed.

All in all I had a great time!:-)

Chester, United...
2 posts
Save Reply
8. Re: Christmas in Brussels?

Going to the Christmas market in Brussels, can anyone tell me of a good hotel which is near the railway station and the market please.

Chester, United...
2 posts
Save Reply
9. Re: Christmas in Brussels?

Going to the Christmas market in Brussels, can anyone tell me of a good hotel which is near the railway station and the market please.

Brussels, Belgium
Level Contributor
34,536 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Christmas in Brussels?

Anything near Gare centrale, Grand' Place, Bourse, St. Catherine or De Brouckère (all in postcode Brussels 1000) is near the market - which is not a Christmas but a Winter market, if you are expecting "Christmassy", you are going to be disappointed! I already mentioned locations in post #1 above, and specific hotels are also mentioned in #1 and #2!

As I don't know what "good hotel" means to you, I suggest you select on the basis of ratings and reviews on tripadvisor.com/Hotels-g188644-Brussels-Hote… - the closest hotel to Gare centrale is the Méridien, followed by the Novotel "Off Grand' Place", Ibis ditto, Le Dixseptième, Best Western Carrefour de l'Europe, Royal Windsor, Aris Grand' Place, Madeleine, Arenberg, Scandic Grand' Place, Sandton Brussels Centre, Centrale....