We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Ghent or Bruges ?

Level Contributor
564 posts
46 reviews
Save Topic
Ghent or Bruges ?

We are a couple in our late 40's, travelling with our 14 year old son this summer. We will spend 4 days in Belgium. Should we stay in Ghent or Bruges for 3 nites before heading to the capitol?

Saint Louis...
Level Contributor
31 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Ghent or Bruges ?

Why not stay in both? They're close to each other. I'd recommend 2 nights in Ghent and one in Bruges, but I'm biased in favor of Ghent.

Ghent, Belgium
Level Contributor
2,559 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Ghent or Bruges ?

In order to avoid having to pack up and change hotels, 3 nights in Gent make more sense. Brugge can easily be done as a day trip.

Level Contributor
564 posts
46 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Ghent or Bruges ?

I agree, the less switching hotels the better.

Brussels, Belgium
Level Contributor
32,597 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Ghent or Bruges ?

As you put this question in the Brussels forum, I assume you're also visiting Brussels, in which case Ghent is roughly halfway between Brugge and Brussels, so you could (slightly) more easily visit both from there.

On the other hand, some people prefer to be in Brugge after the day-trippers have gone, and travel time from Brugge is not that much more - plus, you don't keep having to get a tram to the station as in Ghent, assuming that you would want to stay in the centre.

Level Contributor
564 posts
46 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Ghent or Bruges ?

The way we have it now, we will be going to Ghent from Amsterdam. We will stay 2 nites. Then go to Brussels and stay 2 nites before heading back to the US The only reason why we will go to Brussels is because our plane is in the morning and we want to be near to the airport. Also, we were never in Brussels, so visiting the capitol is important. Sort of like going to Greece without visiting Athens.

6. Re: Ghent or Bruges ?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 19 June 2013, 04:16